Have you ever encountered an aggressive cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Anne, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

The more I think about cats, the more I remember why I might have decided I would NEVER own one. I recall many, many years ago working in the mall and hearing that tons of wild cats lived in the roof. Talk at the time suggested that they were wild and dangerous. It goes without saying that I was petrified.

I would never forget that day I heard one in my store roof . I almost died with panic and immediately called maintenance. I don't remember if they eventually came but a customer who had a love for cats worked for about an hour to finally trap that cat and take it from the store. Naturally, I stayed as far away as possible at the time. I was not about to be in the company of any wild or dangerous cat. My customer seemed unafraid and the cat caused her no injuries.

I say all that to say that's the closest I have ever come to being in the same space of an "aggressive cat". When my own cat finally entered my life for his brief stay, he was anything but aggressive and now I see cats in a totally different light.

That said, I still want to know if any of you have encountered aggressive cats.

Anne, Dec 5, 2014
  2. Anne

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi Anne,
    Yes, we have had experiences with feral cats. We bought a home with a feral 'bob-tail' cat. We needed to take her in to be spayed, so my husband fed her for several day with weenies to get her to trust him. We set up a pet porter close to where she liked to sleep. One morning, my husband fed her weenies, then picked her up and put her in the pet porter. He told me later that his heart was pumping a mile a minute and he was so afraid she was going to attack him. We took her to the vet, told the staff that she was feral. The (idiot) vet tech. said "Oh, no problem. I can handle her." She opened the pet porter, grabbed the cat by the scruff of the neck. The cat turned and bit her, got away, and ran behind a large oxygen tank. I said, "We'll be back to pick her up when you've spayed her." We returned later to pick up our feral cat, to turn her loose back on our property and just let her live her life. Cats, we humans seem to forget, have evolved from a perfect, carnivorous killing machine. If they have never been exposed to human companionship, and get frightened, they revert back to their natural instincts.
    I really admire anyone dedicated enough to take the time to trap a 'feral' and just take them somewhere safe. Wow. k

Kay Dougall, Dec 8, 2014
  3. Anne

maryannballeras Member

Fortunately for me, I have never encountered such an aggressive cat. One of our cats is a bit aggressive, though, but only towards our dog. But to us humans, she is nothing to get scared about. She's sweet and lovely just like most cats.

maryannballeras, Dec 8, 2014
  4. Anne

Bloomsie Active Member

My cousins have an intense cat who's always so aggressive. There's only one time when he's not aggressive to anyone and that's when he's being fed. But most of the time my cousins don't play with him or cuddle with him because they are unsure when he'll actually attack versus play. If anything, they are more scared of him. But they know he wouldn't make it into the world if they didn't have them.

It truly is sad to see a cat act in such a way because it only means that their past wasn't as friendly and they are just trying to defend themselves at all times.

Bloomsie, Dec 12, 2014
  5. Anne

Aymes Member

Cats are not usually aggressive unless they are afraid. Even feral cats aren't usually aggressive unless they feel threatened. I know people who feed feral cats everyday and they are not aggressive at all. I have encountered some aggressive cats at my job since I am a vet assistant. These cats are always very sweet at home but are just terrified at the vet. They become aggressive and growl and try to bite you. This can be very scary because cats are quick! Besides at work I have never encountered an aggressive cat.

Aymes, Dec 13, 2014
Ask a Question