Has your cat ever slept in the litter box?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Wahcashmom

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Has your cat ever slept in the litter box?

My indoor cat has done that a few times, not sure what that means. She is getting old, but she will sleep in the litter box even if it is dirty.. it is nasty!

Wahcashmom, Dec 14, 2011
  2. Wahcashmom

steph84 Well-Known Member

My older cat used to do that too. I wonder if she did it because she was cold and wanted to be warm. I also have a 4 year old cat and he did it once when he wanted to go outside. My litter box is near my back door and I think he did it to protest that he wanted to go out back. It really is nasty and I cleaned him off once I got him out of the box.

steph84, Dec 14, 2011
  3. Wahcashmom

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Serenity, who is now 8 months old, did this when she was about four months old, It bothered me very much, I change litter boxes twice a day but it is still an unsanitary place to be sleeping! Saying NO while picking her up out of the litter box, cleaning her then putting her in her kitty bed seemed to help a bit but I would still come home to find her sleeping in the litter box once in a while. I bought the litter boxes that are fully enclosed with a flap door for entering and exiting and this worked to stop Serenity's sleeping in the litter habit, she now sleeps in her kitty bed, in fact Serenity is the only one of my kitty's who does regularly sleep in her kitty bed.

Micheleteresa, Dec 14, 2011
  4. Wahcashmom

magickat Well-Known Member

i have never heard of this before - it does sound like it could be something to do with age. My cats do like to sleep in funny places though, especially in the bath!

magickat, Dec 14, 2011
  5. Wahcashmom

doublelady Active Member

My kitten did this a few times right after she got fixed. I think she was disorientated when she woke up after the surgery and the clean little was softer for her to lay on. She still does it for a moment or two sometimes, but she jumps after when she realizes where she is.

doublelady, Dec 23, 2011
  6. Wahcashmom

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Normally cats are very fastidious creatures. They would choose a clean place to sleep in. Sleeping in the litter box is rather abnormal.

Victor Leigh, Dec 25, 2011
  7. Wahcashmom

One of my kittens has started sleeping in the toilet lol

magickat, Jan 10, 2012
  8. Wahcashmom

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

From my experience, that's not a good sign. It usually means that the kitten is not well. Somehow it feels very hot and would sleep even in a puddle of water.

Victor Leigh, Jan 11, 2012
  9. Wahcashmom

No she's fine, just has a fascination with our downstairs loo at the moment :)

magickat, Jan 11, 2012
  10. Wahcashmom

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

MIne have never slept in a litter box. But when I adopted Romeo at the shelter when he was 4 months old...he had been going potty when the attendent opened his cage and he got scared and laid down immediately and was all wet....had to clean him off to bring him home...He never did it again.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 29, 2012
  11. Wahcashmom

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this either. My cats sleep in some weird places but never the litter box. Bella's favorite place to sleep is after I make the bed she'll crawl under the covers. I walk in and I'll see this little lump under the covers. LOL I have dog beds all over the house three of them in various places. Booger and Tigger like to sleep on those.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 30, 2012
  12. Wahcashmom

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Maybe your cat has a urinary tract infection, and feels the need to you it, so she just stays there. My vet told me that when cats do strange things, that sometimes it is a sign of a health problem, that needs special attention, It maybe nothing, or it maybe a warning sign of some type of infection.

Jenny Heart, Apr 15, 2012
  13. Wahcashmom

It may not be the case in this instance, but I saw on a tv show that if a cat spends time in the litter box it has confidence issues and should be provided with a more elevated space to sit in.

magickat, Apr 15, 2012
  14. Wahcashmom

kinser Active Member

Mine did it a few times, usually when there were visitors in the house (which he was very shy of). He did this when we lived in a really small apartment and he didn't have as many places to "hide", so I'm guessing he did it because it made him feel protected. He never did it once we moved into our house and he had his choice of many hiding spots.

kinser, Apr 17, 2012
  15. Wahcashmom

Jessi Well-Known Member

My cat does it if I leave them at the kennel. I don't necessarily think it's a sign of something wrong, but it could just be a sign of stress (or even comfort). Keep in mind that kitty litter is going to be cooler than the surrounding area, too, so if the house is hot, they might just be trying to stay cool.

Jessi, Apr 17, 2012
  16. Wahcashmom

christina Active Member

One of cats lays in the litter box every once in a while. She is completely healthy. Cats always find the strangest places to sleep!

christina, Apr 19, 2012
  17. Wahcashmom

btatro Well-Known Member

I can't say that my cat has ever slept in the litter box. She likes to be very clean so I can't image she would choose such a space to lay. Doesn't seem as though it is unusual though!

btatro, Apr 22, 2012
  18. Wahcashmom

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

I have never heard of this before. We have a basket that is on top of one of our litter boxes and it has towels in it, my cats will sleep up there, but they have never slept in the litter box. I would have to imagine that something psychological is out of order with the cat. Then again, since I haven't had a cat do this I might just not understand it.

dkramarczyk, Apr 23, 2012
Ask a Question