Guide on how to determine the sex of the kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BeautifulAngel, May 18, 2012.

1. BeautifulAngel

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

This is a guide to help kitten owners or people who would like to become a kitten owner determine the sex of the kitten.

Sometimes it can difficult to determine what sex the kitten is and often many people will bring home a kitten thinking it is one sex only to later find out they have been wrong about the sex of their kitten all along.

This guide will help you find out what sex your kitten is and even help you from being deceived in the future if you pick the wrong sex you wished to have.

To figure out whether the kitten you are looking to buy is a female or male lift up the tail of the kitten; if the anus and the genetal opening are close together it is a female. However if the anus and the genetal opening are further apart then it is a male.
    Another trick to figuring out if this cute animal is a female or a male is their genetal opening. The genetal openinig in females will be verticule while in males will be round.

That being said it is much easier to figure out the sex of a kitten if there is more than one kitten to compare the anatomy of the kittens.

As the kittens get older it becomes easier to determine whether or not the kitten is a male since as the male grows their testicules will grow.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Male Kitten --------------------------------------------------------------------------------Female Kitten

*pictures from http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/kittengender.aspx

BeautifulAngel, May 18, 2012
  2. BeautifulAngel

Mystique Well-Known Member

Thanks for the guide, BeautifulAngel. When I opened the thread, I read the first few lines and as I scrolled down.. BAM! The photos surprised me - lol. Thank goodness I didn't spill my coffee :D

I tried lifting the tails of cats/kittens several times - lol - they don't like that, do they? Yeah, well, it doesn't matter what sex the cat is, for me. However, this would be a good guide for those who are particular when it comes to finding the right sex as a pet.

Mystique, May 18, 2012
  3. BeautifulAngel

Haha I apologize for you almost spilling your coffee!

I think this guide can also be helpful for cat owners who are looking to get another cat however they want a specific sex since they don't want their cats to breed or have kittens and what not.

Anyways I'm really glad you enjoyed my guide =) If you can think of any other guide that you'd like me to do please post it in my other thread. Thanks a bunch!

BeautifulAngel, May 19, 2012
  4. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's really helpful! As you said, it's a lot easier once they start to get older and parts start to fill out a bit more. At a very young age, they look almost the same really and they won't hold still long enough to really tell.

Jessi, Jun 10, 2012
  5. BeautifulAngel

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

At last the mystery is solved. For me. Most times, I just have to wait for the kittens to grow up until the males have got clearly defined testicles before I can figure out the sex.

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  6. BeautifulAngel

I'm glad this guide has helped you Victor and Jessie =)

BeautifulAngel, Jun 21, 2012
Ask a Question