Grain-free Food for Kitty?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mariposa, Apr 22, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

We've been using grain-free cat food, both wet and dry for about six months now. Our cat is diabetic and the vet suggested this because it sometimes allows the insulin to be lowered or even experience remission. It seems to be working great for us and that's such a relief!

If you use grain-free food, do you have a favorite brand... or I should say does the cat have a favorite brand? :confused:

mariposa, Apr 22, 2013
  2. mariposa

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Our cat never had diabetes so we never looked into grain free food asuch. However, when we found out just how awful the manufactured pet foods are, we stopped giving them to any of our pets. We basically just cooked things for them and also gave them what we ate. Of course, their portions and the proportions we gave them were not the same as we had. If you cook the food yourself, then you have a bit more control over what goes into it.

GavinMcresty, May 1, 2013
  3. mariposa

I'd love to do that for ours... to know exactly what's going into what she's eating (sans the salt and spices) but sadly she won't touch people food. I suppose I should gather up a few recipes and try again... at least things like salmon and chicken would be nice to grind up.

Then there's the taurine issue, though... how do you deal with that and make sure your cats are getting enough taurine to be healthy and protect their eyesight?

mariposa, May 1, 2013
  4. mariposa

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

There is plenty of taurine in various meats and seafoods so that should not be a problem.
    You might have to encourage her to eat homemade food. If she has only ever eaten pet food from tins and pouches, then that might be all she regards as "food". A complete and sudden change of diet might not be too good for her anyway. The book I read recommended various methods of helping your pet transition away from commercial pet foods. I think it said that you should try mixing the two together at first so that there is still some of what they are used to with the homemade food. That way, they become used to eating what you have made for them. Gradually, you can reduce how much commercial pet food you put into the mix. They might always need some but at least they will mostly be eating more wholesome food than before.

GavinMcresty, May 3, 2013
  5. mariposa

Mixing the two at first to get them used to it sounds like a great idea. Thank you for that suggestion, GavinMcresty! It would be a really good feeling to know exactly what the cat is eating instead of the unknown in commercial foods. I think I'll have to start looking for some recipes. :)

mariposa, May 5, 2013
Ask a Question