Giving your cat a ride in a pet stroller

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by footballtim, Sep 8, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Do any of you give your cats rides in pet strollers? I find it a lot of fun, and so to my cats, as I have mentioned in previous posts. My cats do not just lay there looking disinterested. They are intelligent breeds of cats.

When daddy gets the strollers ready, they jump in right away. The whole time I am pushing them in the strollers, they sit forward at attention and take in the sights, sounds and smells.

footballtim, Sep 8, 2012
  2. footballtim

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I haven't got one and I wonder if they would like it. One of my cats gets really distressed at times when she is on our balcony and I guess she feels kind of trapped because she sees people outside but can't possibly reach them. The same thing might happen when she's put into a stroller. I do have other cats that might love it, but to be honest I've never given it much thought. Might be worth it though ;-)

Yolanda, Sep 9, 2012
  3. footballtim

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I've always thought those cat strollers were cool but they're kind of expensive. If I found a good deal on one, I would consider it. It looks like it would be fun for the cat to get outside and see the world without running off and getting hit by a car.

ACSAPA, Sep 10, 2012
  4. footballtim

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope. I think it's awesome that you're able to. There's no way our cats would go for this, though. It'd probably freak them out to be outside in general, but to be forced into a small area and being moved would probably remind them of being put into a kennel and taken to the vet. I'll pass, hehe.

Jessi, Sep 10, 2012
  5. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

Actually, they only like it if it is in a quiet area. I do this late at night, because it is cooler out, there is very little traffic, and the crickets are singing. I tried once to take them to the beach, but they could not stand all the noise, and they both were meowing to tell me this.

footballtim, Sep 10, 2012
  6. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

If our cats got along we could possibly try this. At first I thought you meant you were putting them in a baby stroller. I never knew there was such a thing as a pet stroller. Those are very cool.

OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012
  7. footballtim

andrew320 Well-Known Member

For our cats personally, they would not like it, especially our older one because he is certainly a scared one. Our other cat may act as if he has a tough persona, but he can't go a few feet from our door without getting terrified. He's also terrified of people and would cry the whole time. No, I wouldn't torture our cats like that.

andrew320, Nov 20, 2012
  8. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I can say I have ever tried this! My cats enjoy running and playing too much for this, they would rather be on a leash than a stroller!

Scottyxx, Nov 20, 2012
  9. footballtim

steph84 Well-Known Member

I would do this with my grandma's cat when I was younger. My sister would dress her up as a baby and we would push her around. She was a huge, old fat cat and just loved to be pet and played with. I haven't met a cat so docile like that in ages.

steph84, Nov 21, 2012
  10. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

That's hilarious! That must have been one patient cat!

Scottyxx, Nov 23, 2012
  11. footballtim

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, that's impossible. For my cats, any way. They have their own ideas about what constitutes a walk around the neighborhood. Usually their walks start off with flying leaps up the coconut tree just outside the front door.

Victor Leigh, Nov 25, 2012
  12. footballtim

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

If my cats had it their way, I'd let them run free outside for hours at a time. I won't allow that because we live in a busy area now and I don't want them to get ran over. Taking them out on leashes is the closest I get. I have a feeling they'd get really antsy and irritated if I put them in a stroller. Maybe my kitten, as she's still so young, but my older cat would not have it.

blurinoctober, Nov 25, 2012
  13. footballtim

Trellum Well-Known Member

That sounds so lovely!!! I have never tried that with my cat, not sure if he would really like it. But your cats seem to really appreciate the experience :) If my Bob appreciated it that much, I'd surely dare to do it, but for now using a pet stroller would feel kinda weird :p

Trellum, Oct 22, 2014
  14. footballtim

Anne Well-Known Member

Well it sounds fun but I hardly think my Twinkle would have liked or be co-operative in a situation like that. He never liked being confined to one area so I am thinking it would have been a no no for him.

The few times I tried to put a leash on him, he was very upset. I know it's different but something tells me he liked being free all the time. Sadly that freedom cost him his life.

Anne, Dec 2, 2014
Ask a Question