Getting a stray cat spayed

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I grew up with lots of stray cats coming and going, so it's nothing new for me. However, we live in town and we've had a cat that has lingered longer than other random cats tend to. I really don't think it's going to leave and I don't really mind.

Problem is, it's a young female who is guaranteed to end up pregnant, if she isn't already. To have her spayed would cost $100+ to have the surgery plus required shots. If I'm going to do that, then I might as well make her mine and bring her inside, I suppose, but that's not really an option. On the other hand, I don't want her reproducing in my backyard in the meantime either....

Would you put money into a cat that you didn't know if it'd even stick around? Would it be worth it to you to avoid unnecessary kitten population?

Jessi, Jun 12, 2012
  2. Jessi

TabithaW Member

Yes. If you do a quick internet search you should be able to find free or low cost spay programs for juts this sort of situation. They are called TNR; trap, neuter, release. You can also google "spay neuter assistance program." You should be able to find programs for $15-$35.00 for a female. It's better to pay for 1 now rather than 6 later!

TabithaW, Jun 14, 2012
  3. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

:eek:

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE!!!

And yes, it's completely worth the caps because you just rocked my world. I actually can't even find one near my area at all so I'd spend more gas getting to one than I would just paying full price here anyway. The fact that programs like that exist, though, really has my attention. I'm seeing a bunch that still cost $60-$90 as the "reduced" price even, but if those areas cost even more to have it done, then hey, a discount is a discount. You've sent me on a research adventure now. Thank you. <3

Jessi, Jun 15, 2012
  4. Jessi

TabithaW Member

Try googling an organisation called SNIPS. They will sometimes mail out vouchers that you can take to the vet of your choice and have a certain dollar value. Maybe $50.00. I am not sure on the amount. It's intended for areas that are a bit more rural and don't already have a clinic in place.

TabithaW, Jun 17, 2012
Ask a Question