Getaway without Your Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mystique, May 22, 2012.

1. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

At times, I wish I could take my pets with me when I go off on a holiday, but I have to face the fact that it could be difficult to have the pets around when I'm trying to enjoy myself.

In the past, I never had a problem in getting someone to take care of our cats, as my relatives were always ready to look after our house and pets. Once, when we had only two cats with us, my father sent them to the cattery. It was a good experience and our cats were well taken care of.

How about you - when you go on a holiday that does not allow you to bring your cats with, do you send your cat(s) to a cattery or do you get someone you know to take care of the cat(s)?

Would you be comfortable leaving them at a cattery if you have never done that before?

Mystique, May 22, 2012
  2. Mystique

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I do not go on holiday very much, and when I do, it is no longer than a few days. I normally just leave my baby over at a friend's house, or sometimes.. if I'm only gone for a few days.. I will leave her at home and have a friend come over to feed her, clean the litter box, and play with her and give her some attention. She is a huge baby though.. she even gets upset when we leave her for a few hours (I work at home so I am here the majority of the time).

I don't know if I'd be comfortable leaving her at a cattery.. it is really expensive and I couldn't be sure if she would get the attention she needs.

Belligerent, May 23, 2012
  3. Mystique

We do that too, and it is a lot easier for us now, as my parents-in-law leave about 5 minutes away from us. We can drop the cats off at their place and play with the rest of the cats and dogs :D I think this option is easier for most people and it's always nice to know that you can count on some family members and friends to do it for you.

My father didn't want to in the beginning, but it was recommended by his friend. We visited the place without calling them first to see if it were as good as his friend had claimed. It was, and we were very happy with the cattery, which made my father's decision to leave our cats there easier. It is advisable to do some research on the cattery first, should you decide to leave your cats there.

Mystique, May 23, 2012
  4. Mystique

Jessi Well-Known Member

I never take the cats on vacation with us. They'd hate it. ><

If we're going to be gone for just a day or two, then they stay at home with plenty of food and water. If it's going to be more than just a weekend, then yes, they'll go to the kennel.

Jessi, May 23, 2012
  5. Mystique

steph84 Well-Known Member

I am going on a four day trip this weekend and I am already terrified for my kitties! I am going to have my parents watch them, but I am starting to worry that they won't feed my Kitty Love or they won't brush him daily. I am so nervous about it but I am sure he will be fine!

steph84, May 24, 2012
  6. Mystique

Aawww I'm sure your parents will feed and brush your Kitty Love. You can call them every few hours to remind and check up on him :D Enjoy your four-day trip weekend!

Mystique, May 24, 2012
Ask a Question