Fresh air may help cats have better physical health

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I've been posting concerns about my pet cat Tinker who has diabetes. I've been trying to raise his energy level, and sense of well being. I started setting him beside the window, and this one simple act perked his mood up quite a bit. He'll set and look for about a half an hour instead of wanting to sleep. If your cat is feeling ill from what ever reason, remember he's like you, he needs sunshine.

Jenny Heart, Apr 26, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

That's a great suggestion. My cats love sitting in the windows during the warmer months, and even during the winter, they'll sleep on the floor where sun is shining through on the floor. I think there's lots to be said for a fresh breeze and some sun, so I can see that helping the kitties, too.

Jessi, Apr 27, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Thank you for commenting about this topic Jessi. The only problem I have with that is that the other cats try to hoard all the time sitting by the window. I pray this helps Tinker. He's older, but, he's family. If you have any other suggestions Jessi please feel free to add your thoughts on this topic.

Jenny Heart, Apr 27, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well normally I'd say you can't really teach an old cat new tricks....mostly because they're cats and don't get "trained" much anyway. ;) Have you ever had him on a leash, though? If he's solely an inside cat, he could potentially like a walk on the side walk or the back porch to get some sun and exercise.....or it could completely freak him out, ha.

Jessi, Apr 27, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If Tinker doesn't feel like taking a walk, you can still take him outside to get some fresh air and sunshine. Put him into a basket. Then go for a walk with the basket. And Tinker in the basket, of course.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
    Jenny Heart likes this.
  6. Jenny Heart

magickat Well-Known Member

I have heard that this is good for indoor cats, not only for fresh air but also for interest as they like to see what is going on. My cats can go outside, but they do still like to sit in the window as well.

magickat, Apr 27, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

I want to thank everyone for your thoughts on this topic of concern. He does love to look outside, but one of my other cats always tries to nudge him out, so he can look outside. Tinker gets frustrated and leaves, so I have to make sure that the one cat doesn't take his much needed time from the view from him.

Jenny Heart, Apr 27, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

You can solve this quite easily. Just get a small box with both ends open. Put it at the window with the open end facing out. Put Tinker into the box. Now the other cats cannot judge him away from his window on the world.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

steph84 Well-Known Member

We would put my grandmother's cat Mona in a little Radio Flyer wagon when she had cancer and it was too difficult for her to walk around. I think it just shows your pet so much love when you help them do the things they love. I'm sure he loves the window because he gets all of that sunshine.

steph84, Apr 30, 2012
Ask a Question