Feline Distemper?!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Hobocat, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Hobocat

Hobocat New Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. I have a bunch of questions about feline distemper and I thought maybe some of you might have some good advice for me

Here's what happened: Last week we adopted a kitten from an animal shelter and a few days after we brought him home he died of feline distemper (we called the shelter and found out that his litter mates also died of the disease on the same day). It was so sad :(

We have a six year old male cat that came in contact with this kitten while it was here. He's been vaccinated for distemper, recently in fact, a little over a month ago and before that too. But, my question is, could he still get the distemper?
    We are in the process of disinfecting anything we can with bleach, especially the bathroom where the kitten stayed most of the time. But what about the things that can't be disinfected with bleach, like carpets, furniture, and hard wood floors? What should we disinfect those with?

We're going to call the vet in the morning, just to get some peace of mind, but what do you think? Could our cat have the distemper even though he's vaccinated??

Also, we're planning on getting another kitten in the next month or so, will it be safe for another kitten if everything is disinfected and it has it's first vaccinations?

Thanks for any help, it's very much appreciated :)

Hobocat, Sep 22, 2011
Ask a Question