Feline Asthma

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by HappyRocinante, May 7, 2012.

1. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

Hi everyone! I have a cat, Mouth, who was diagnosed with feline asthma when when he was a year old. Six months later I am still working with the vet to get his medications right. He is currently taking a half tablet of Temeril-P twice daily and a quarter tablet of Terbutaline twice daily. He still coughs occassionally, although not on a regular basis. Each time I have take him to the vet he still had congestion in his lungs and they give me another medication to give him.

I am curious if others here have a cat who is has asthma and can tell me if any coughing is considered ok or should I be worried.

HappyRocinante, May 7, 2012
  2. HappyRocinante

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I don't think Tinker has for sure Asthma, but he developed a breathing problem after a Terminex man came and sprayed. I can't be sure that's what caused it, but I think it was. He couldn't breath right, and when I took him to the vet he had 105 fever. I thought he might die, but then after a few days of weezing around, and taking his medicine, he healed from all of that. He still does wheeze a little when he breaths on a daily basis, but over all he does alright with this condition. I'll have to ask the vet if he actually has Asthma.

Jenny Heart, May 9, 2012
  3. HappyRocinante

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your little one! I hope he is okay. He probably doesn't have asthma as it doesn't usually develop like that. He may just have scarred his lungs from the chemicals. An asthma attack for my little one sort of reminds you of a hairball, but they can't get it out.

Glad Tinker is feeling better.

HappyRocinante, May 9, 2012
  4. HappyRocinante

steph84 Well-Known Member

I have never heard of feline asthma before. My cat Kitty Love does have breathing issues. He snores really loudly all of the time too. My new baby kitty, Licious, has a sneezing problem because he attacks his kitty food and gets food stuck in his nostrils.

steph84, May 9, 2012
  5. HappyRocinante

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Thank you HappyRocinante! Your comment made me understand what probably has been going on with his condition all these years. His breathing has been getting a little better than it use to be. I'll spread this information to other cat owners that I know. This information is interesting as well as important.

Jenny Heart, May 9, 2012
  6. HappyRocinante

tajnz Well-Known Member

I've never heard of feline asthma either, although I suffer from it to a mild extent myself. It's great that through this forum I've become more aware of some illnesses that affect cats. I'm not whether you should be concerned about your cat coughing, I'd reccomend mentioning it to your vet next time you see them.

tajnz, Jun 20, 2012
  7. HappyRocinante

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have heard of feline asthma before, but fortunately none of my cats (the one I own and the ones I owned before) never suffered from this :) I heard cats with asthma also get a wheezing chest and breathing problems. I guess the wheezing is easier to spot than the breathing issues! Best of luck with your kitty, this can't be easy :(

Trellum, Mar 24, 2014
Ask a Question