Feeding separate animals.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Animachine, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Animachine

Animachine Member

I have a fat cat, I'll admit it. Even the vet said he's been gaining weight and needs a diet. I feed him Wellness cat food, and he does just fine. I also only feed him twice a day, and keep the portions to a healthy scale. Unfortunately my roommates just leave food out for their cats all day, and mine isn't shy about eating it. On top of it, they feed their cats Meow Mix. I've voiced my opinion more than once but they insist that I'm being "crazy" and that their cats are obviously fine so I'm overreacting. They say I'm cruel to my cat for "starving" him, I mean its really a difficult discussion to have. I figured I would consult the crew here and get o some more opinions. I don't want to lock my cat in my room all day, so how do I sort this problem out?

Animachine, Aug 23, 2012
  2. Animachine

nikki Well-Known Member

You have to do whats right for you and your cat. Just because a well meaning person doesnt think a vets advice is important doesnt mean you dont have to follow it.

nikki, Aug 24, 2012
  3. Animachine

steph84 Well-Known Member

I agree. Do what is best for your cat because if your cat doesn't lose the weight then you will have less time with your pet. Ask your roommates if you can arrange some type of feeding schedule and try to feed your cat in a new area away from the Meox Mix. I'm sure he'll go looking for it, but if he learns that his food is in another special area, he might go there first.

steph84, Aug 27, 2012
  4. Animachine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, this is a tough one, you are in big trouble... you have roommates who aren't as strict as you are with the diet of their cats and it sounds like no matter what you say or do they'll not do anything about the issue. Moving out isn't an option, I guess and you can't force them to change the way they feed their cats. Maybe you could suggest they don't leave so much food out?

Trellum, Sep 7, 2014
  5. Animachine

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Oh dang,
    You used the dirty words "Meow Mix" in your post. That is the screaming,worst, POS grossest, cat food EVER!! I'll try to recover here enough to post a serious reply. No, you are not "crazy". You are being a responsible, caring animal owner. It doesn't sound like you can move, so are you willing to pay for a better food for all of the cats?? Check with your vet, buy a large bag of the best diet food for your cat, and feed the rest of them that food until your cat slims down. Did I mention you should start looking for a more cat-smart place to live?

Kay Dougall, May 7, 2015
Ask a Question