Feeding cats tuna?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Carnold23, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Member

Whenever I make something for myself or my children using canned tuna, I always save a little bit for my cat. He loves it, as soon as he hears the can opener come out he is right at my feet.
    I am just wondering if doing this is ok? It is not an every day thing. Maybe once a week at best? He loves it and I thought it was a good treat for him but I want to make sure it's not harming him in any way.

Carnold23, Oct 18, 2015
  2. Carnold23

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Lots of people feed their cats tuna and it's fine in moderation. Canned tuna in water is OK if you want to give your cat a treat every once and awhile.
    My cats have tuna every once in a while and when they do they love it.

Susan Brown, Oct 20, 2015
  3. Carnold23

Trellum Well-Known Member

It's ok to feed them tuna, but bear in mind that eating too much tuna and too often is not only bad for the cat, but also for you. mostly because of the high mercury content, hence is not a good idea for a pregnant woman to eat tuna often.

Trellum, Oct 20, 2015
  4. Carnold23

RealDMat Well-Known Member

I feed both my kitties, as well as my strays, tuna whenever I run out of their usual canned stuff, and have not had a chance to make it to the store yet. It's perfectly fine, just like anything else, in moderation...as I believe has already been mentioned...

RealDMat, Oct 25, 2015
  5. Carnold23

KimmyMarkks Active Member

My cat also LOVES tuna. She comes running at the sounds of any can being opened. I do feed her a little. I guess it helps that I don't eat it much, so she always get it some when I am making it for myself. She goes crazy for it. If my sister's cat is over when I open the tuna my cat gets nasty and won't share. My sister's cat doesn't like it so it works out okay.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 25, 2015
  6. Carnold23

Novelangel Active Member

Well, I would say it's a far cry better for her than a chocolate addiction. My cat likes tuna, as long as it's fresh, right out of the can and she gets to watch me open it. She's always within reach when the can opener is running, so she never misses that trick. Day old tuna she will eat if all other options are exhausted. She would rather starve than eat tuna any older than that, even though I keep it fresh in the fridge. Her problem is, somehow, (she didn't learn it from me) she found out that she loves chocolate, which is very bad for cats...so I've heard. She goes nuts if she smells chocolate nearby and will practically crawl right into your mouth if you happen to be eating some.

Novelangel, Apr 26, 2016
  7. Carnold23

GabbyTheTabby Member

The only problem you could run into with canned tuna is that its VERY high in sodium. Cats can't process salt very well, and too much of it will cause kidney failure - as will a host of things, actually (cats' kidneys are very delicate).

A little every once in a while isn't bad, but I wouldn't feed them cans and cans of the stuff.

GabbyTheTabby, May 3, 2016
Ask a Question