Favorite Flea Medication?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by blurinoctober, Nov 29, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I'm lost on flea medication. My cats recently started living with dogs that go outside for a bathroom and exercise and have gotten fleas. They've never had this issue in the past, but now they're getting pretty bad.

One of my cats is a kitten and too young to get medication (she's 3-4 months old) and the other is full-grown. What would you suggest I give the kitten when she gets old enough and the older cat right now?

blurinoctober, Nov 29, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

We get Frontline from our vet and it seems to work pretty good. We've had issues with fleas in the past and a lot of the medicines didn't work at all. I don't have any complaints about Frontline, although it can take a while to get things under control once they're already infested, so beware.

Jessi, Dec 3, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  3. blurinoctober

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm taking my kitten back to the vet next week for a check-up (we picked her up as an injured stray, he gave us medicine, and we're making sure she's alright) and I'll see about picking up some Frontline. I'll keep it taking a bit in mind as well. :]

blurinoctober, Dec 4, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

Another tip:

The Frontline for cats and dogs are the same formula. Because I had multiple cats, my vet recommended I buy the dog tube because it was larger and was more cost efficient. Then I could just split up the drops between the cats. You won't benefit from this yet because only one of your cats is old enough probably, but later on, keep that in mind, too.

Jessi, Dec 4, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  5. blurinoctober

steph84 Well-Known Member

I like using Frontline too. I didn't know it was the same meds. Thanks for the tip Jessi! I am going to just buy the dog one then and try to split it up. I have so many cats and it gets so darn pricey! :)

steph84, Dec 5, 2012
  6. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I have never used flea remedies on my cats...should I?

Scottyxx, Dec 5, 2012
  7. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well do your cats have fleas? If they don't and they've never struggled with them before, then I wouldn't bother. If they do, though, then flea meds can go a long way in not only getting rid of them, but preventing them from getting reinfested.

Jessi, Dec 6, 2012
  8. blurinoctober

Once my kitten gets old enough I'll be sure to do this. Thanks for the tip! Alice is only 3-4 months old, but once she gets as big as Sibyl this will work perfectly. :D

blurinoctober, Dec 6, 2012
  9. blurinoctober

My cats dont have fleas, as far as I can tell, they dont scratch or have anything in their fur except the feline acne on Pussington, and her ear mites, but I am treating both. So I don't really need flea stuff as a precaution?

Scottyxx, Dec 7, 2012
  10. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope!

If you don't already struggle with fleas, then chances are, you're not going to get them anyway. There's no need to medicate them. If you do notice fleas later on, then you can simply treat them and then decide whether to continue using it as a prevention method. For now, though, it doesn't seem like you should need to waste the time, money, and extra worry about adding medication to them that's not necessary.

Jessi, Dec 7, 2012
  11. blurinoctober

Thats great news! I have just got her little ears all cleaned out so not having to annoy her with more medications would be great!

Scottyxx, Dec 7, 2012
Ask a Question