Drinking from the faucet

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jessi, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Is your kitty one of those who loves to drink straight from a running faucet?

Is it only if it's already running? Or dripping? Or will s/he whine for you to turn it on for them?

Jessi, Oct 26, 2012
  2. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Mine are so scared of anything with water! The do, however, drink from the toilet! Which, obviously, I am trying to stop!

Scottyxx, Oct 26, 2012
  3. Jessi

JustJenne Active Member

Sadly, no. I would love to see my cats do this, but it could get annoying, I suppose, having them on the counters. We do have a cat that will drink from the toilet though haha! It is a funny sight but kind of gross.
    This is a very cool video, thanks for sharing!

JustJenne, Oct 26, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  4. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

That is all that my cat wants to do when he goes into the bathroom. He taps on it and tries to turn it on. Good thing I don't have a censor faucet or he would send my water bill through the roof. Cute kitty!

steph84, Oct 27, 2012
  5. Jessi

andrew320 Well-Known Member

One of our cats will only drink water from the shower faucet. If it's only drips, he will sit underneath it and take a shower. At other times he will just drink and drink and drink from the faucet. Our other little guy will only drink water from the kitchen tap. As soon as we get up, he will walk with us to the kitchen and sit next to the tap water. We turn it on and he drinks and drinks.

andrew320, Oct 29, 2012
  6. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Awww.

Does he ask for it throughout the day, too? Or does he just want it in the morning out of routine and then will drink out of a bowl the rest of the day?

Jessi, Oct 29, 2012
  7. Jessi

andrew320 Well-Known Member

Yes, he also walks with me to the kitchen and sits right next to the faucet. Sometimes, however, he sikes us out and just sits there and not even want the water. In the middle of the night it can be quite troublesome because he will meow profusely until the water is put on. It's quite a new trait of his, but I don't mind. He is a cute black cat after all.

andrew320, Oct 30, 2012
  8. Jessi

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Believe me it does get annoying. At 3 AM every morning Kiki wakes me up so I can go down and turn on the water in the bathroom sink for him. He hates the water bowl. I was thinking of getting one of those indoor waterfalls people get for relaxation and seeing if he would drink out of that but I am not sure how healthy the water would be running over the rocks and stuff.

Beth

Beth23, Nov 5, 2012
  9. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh! They have specific ones for cats. We used to have one that had a trickle of water because our cat refused to drink "stale water." If it wasn't fresh within the hour, she would whine and fuss until someone came to change her water.

How about one like this even? It's not a waterfall, but it has constant running water:

http://www.amazon.com/Drinkwell-FWB-RE-Original-Pet-Fountain/dp/B00063446M

Jessi, Nov 5, 2012
  10. Jessi

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

Both of my cats will jump right into the shower and lick the still dripping spout as soon as I turn the water off. They've even been known to jump in the shower while the shower is still going with me in it and drink the water from the bottom of the tub (only if it doesn't have soap on it though)! One of my parents' cats loves to drink water from a plastic cup that they leave for her in their shower - she won't drink out of the cup if it's anywhere else though.

msmonkeyfeet, Nov 5, 2012
  11. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

None of my cats have learned to drink from the faucet. However they follow me into the bathroom and if I turn on the tap gently they like to drink from the water that drips on the floor. I do have a water bowl for them and I always make sure the water in the bowl is clean. Perhaps there is something about the water fresh from the tap that is more appetizing.

Victor Leigh, Nov 6, 2012
  12. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well now that's weird. I wonder why she won't drink from it anywhere else then. Did they train her not to touch cups elsewhere?

Jessi, Nov 7, 2012
  13. Jessi

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

For some strange reason, I hardly ever see our cats drinking water. I know they do drink it, since we fill the bowls periodically, but it's almost like they wait til nobody is around to drink it for some reason. They have no problem chowing down on food and treats in front of us however. The other thing is, when we feed them wet food we make them each their own plate because they fight a lot and don't like to share things, so they may be avoiding each other and sneaking a drink from time to time when the other one isn't around since we only put out one water bowl for each of them on each floor of our house.

OhioTom76, Nov 11, 2012
  14. Jessi

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My can't won't drink from the faucet like that, but she loves to drink from the shower. She'll go into the bathroom after I finish showering and spend a good 30 minutes licking water off the top of the shampoo bottles and the sides of the tub. I've tried giving her fresh water to drink, because I thought she might have just wanted, but she does it anyway. I've taken to just letting her be, a there's been no harm in it.

blurinoctober, Dec 2, 2012
  15. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well it doesn't sound like there is. I might be a little concerned that she's licking it off bottles, though. Hopefully they don't have any of the soap still on top.

I wonder if she likes it from the shower because it's come through the metal shower head and maybe tastes a little different to her?

Jessi, Dec 3, 2012
  16. Jessi

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

When she first starting doing it, I double and triple check the bottles and there was never any soap I could see, so I don't think it's an issue. I think she just likes the novelty of water being somewhere else? Because she doesn't like to drink out of metal bowls (she's tried metal and plastic) and the water in her bowl comes out of the same bathroom. The sink, but the water can't be really different.

blurinoctober, Dec 3, 2012
  17. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Maybe it is just the novelty then. It's like sneaking food from a different bowl, even if it's the same food, ha. Cats are weird. ;)

Jessi, Dec 3, 2012
  18. Jessi

MER Well-Known Member

We have a water fountain for cats that they love. Here's another way to hydrate your kitties too. (I found this out from defrosting milk). We buy milk in quart size jugs. When we thaw them out, Gemma would jump up and lick the condensation from the jug. So now, after we finish the milk, I was the jug, fill it 3/4 full with water, freeze it and then place a frozen one in a pie dish in our sun room. Now my cats have chilled water all day long as the water filled jug melts away.

MER, Sep 22, 2015
  19. Jessi

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Both my cats love to drink straight from the faucet. I always leave it running a bit
    so they can have a drink whenever they choose!

Susan Brown, Sep 23, 2015
Ask a Question