Dog food for cats?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by jowjo5, Feb 18, 2013.

1. jowjo5

jowjo5 Active Member

I am asking this because I have learned so much valuable information here in the last week that I thought I would ask this as well.

One of my cats will eat with the dog, out of his dish when we feed the dogs their dinner. We try to not let him do this as I do not know if it is even good for them.

The dog doesn't mind at all, but we do!

I have never heard of it being okay or bad for them. And I wonder about cat food for dogs? Is there a danger for them to eat another food for another animal?

We have moved our cats dishes up to a place the dogs cannot find due to they seem to like the cat food.

Curious, does anyone know? Dangerous for them to share dinner with the cats or the cats sharing with the dogs?

jowjo5, Feb 18, 2013
  2. jowjo5

Jessi Well-Known Member

Eating the food itself isn't dangerous.

The point where it becomes dangerous is if they aren't eating other food. Cats shouldn't eat dog food simply because there aren't enough of the nutrients they need in that food. They need cat food because it has different stuff in it. So if they end up filling up on dog food, then that's not healthy but occasionally stealing a bite isn't bad.

Jessi, Feb 18, 2013
    shdws likes this.
  3. jowjo5

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

It's not bad on occasion but if the cat is doing it all the time, it's bad. Cats need a lot more protein than dogs and they can get that only from their own food. We've caught Dusty on occasion eating dog food but it doesn't happen often and hasn't hurt him.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 19, 2013
  4. jowjo5

shdws Well-Known Member

I agree with Jessi, dog food lacks many of the nutrients cats need. Cats need Taurine, higher levels of fat and protein, which is missing or is present in lower quantities in dog food.

shdws, Feb 20, 2013
  5. jowjo5

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Cats need Taurine to live, they cannot make it themselves. All cat food must contain this in enough quantities to sustain a cat, dog food however doesn't. My main concern would be this. Maybe you can mix the two, or supplement it with cat food. The cat does need to eat mostly cat food to live.

Scottyxx, Feb 20, 2013
  6. jowjo5

mariposa Well-Known Member

Cats can't manufacture enough taurine like other animals can, so they definitely need extra added to their food. It's an amino acid and it helps their heart to stay healthy and they also need it for good vision. Oh and digestion... they need it for proper digestion, too.

mariposa, Apr 24, 2013
  7. jowjo5

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob loves eating dog food, but I don't like to let him do that often, specially the wet one, because that is how a friend's cat gained so much weight. Plus cats need taurine to stay healthy. They can't get it on their own, specially if they are indoors only cats. Outdoors they can do it.

Trellum, Apr 28, 2015
  8. jowjo5

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

This is why I love cats, they are human in so many ways, with this "craving" they have for the forbidden fruits of dog food. It is an inferior food for them, everyone who has posted recognizes the need for taurine and other nutrients. But, has anyone ever tried to keep a cat out of food they can't have? Like moths drawn to a flame. My Vanguard loves popcorn, and plants and lace off of my formal blouses and dresses. He has actually chewed holes in the hem of one of my favorite dresses!! Well, dang, he is 17 and if he wants a piece of popcorn once and a while at this age, I'm not going to say "no."
    If you have a younger cat, though, please research the highest quality food for them. Then they will live long, happy lives.

Kay Dougall, May 7, 2015
Ask a Question