Does your cat tolerate other pets?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by tajnz, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

I assume some of you own other pets as well as a cat. How well does your cat get on with your dog, rabbit or other animal?

If you have more than one cat do they tolerate each other, enjoy each others company or avoid each other?

tajnz, Jun 4, 2012
  2. tajnz

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Tinker will adjust to another cats in the house, but the rest of my cats are not as tolerable. My sister's cat swatted at my cats and hissed alot. It was funny to watch, but it also made me know never to let them be in each others company again.

Jenny Heart, Jun 4, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  3. tajnz

Ja'cobeC Member

Other cats be so mean to mines for some odd reason. I guess my pets is too scary. It take them awhile to really get comfortable with other people pets.

Ja'cobeC, Jun 4, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  4. tajnz

Anna T Active Member

I have never had an animal that didn't love other pets. My cat loves other cats and is also very tolerant of dogs.

I used to have a dog (a springer spaniel) that also adored cats. My mom's dogs on the other hand despise cats.

Anna T, Jun 5, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  5. tajnz

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your stories!

Jenny your sister's cat reminds me of one of my previous neighbour's cat Sooty. Sooty is a massive (seriously one of the biggest cats I've come across) black and white cat and is incredibly cute but will leap at and attack anything that moves. At the time I had two small dogs and they were terrified of Sooty. In fact Sooty was also known to lunge at other neighbours. Sooty also had a sister but they avoided each other and even Sooty’s owners were reluctant to pet her for fear of getting scratched. Well, perhaps your sisters cat isn't quite that bad.

Ja'cobe I'm sure your cat is not like the cat I just described, Sooty.

Anna you're incredibly lucky to have such friendly pets. It's lovely that your cat loves both other cats and tolerates dogs.

tajnz, Jun 5, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  6. tajnz

violino Well-Known Member

Haha, that's a hard question :p Yes, they do, but no :p Mitra doesn't have a problem with Tabu and Juki (the dog, Golden Retriever) but Tabu do tolerate Juki, however she's not a fan of him. When he was small (stll bigger then her, though) she swated him a few times and till these days he's sort of afraid of her. Or he's careful, guarded.. ;)

violino, Jun 5, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  7. tajnz

Jessi Well-Known Member

The older one doesn't really. I mean, she does technically "tolerate" it because she has to, but she hates having other animals here. Whether it's another cat, the dog, or any other animal we've brought in in the past. The youngest one is perfectly content sharing her space, though.

Jessi, Jun 5, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  8. tajnz

HappyRocinante Well-Known Member

I would say that my two cats get along about as well as any brothers. :rolleyes: Mouth is the pushover who sometimes causes mischief and Ninja is the bully. Mouth can be just innocently playing with a small toy all by himself when Ninja will come investigate and take it away. He is rotten! They seem to take turns on who instigates the fight first.

I have had to take Ninja to the vet three or four times for rough housing injuries. Mouth may be a pushover but he can take care of himself when he is pushed too hard. :D Right now Ninja has a little swollen lip where he either bit his own lip or Mouth got him yet again. I have no other pets but neither of them get along with my mother's miniature poodle.

HappyRocinante, Jun 6, 2012
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  9. tajnz

GeeTee Member

My pets tend to get along after a while, but it's something we have to work at to ensure it happens. They all know and acknowledge each other and how each is treated. They do have their own territorial behavior though and is not afraid to let the other know they're crossing their line :). I see this chiefly between the cats and the dogs and before he died, the rooster and the dogs.

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  10. tajnz

casey84 Active Member

My cat is actually better with dogs than other cats! It does depend though on whether the dogs themselves are comfortable with him. We once pet sat for a friend that has a beagle, and didn't know the beagle hated cats...we had to call our friends and make other arrangements for another friend to watch the dog - he was just going nuts every time he saw our cat!

casey84, Jul 15, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  11. tajnz

cluckeyo Active Member

My cat like my chihuahua and wants to play with her so bad!! My chihuahua wants no part of this and while otherwise sweet and gentle, she will bare her teeth and snap at the cat if comes too close or gets too perky, As for my quail, they are in a separate from out apartment. At first he caught one and tried to eat it, then I kicked him out of the quail room. Now he sits at the screen, longingly. And if one gets out, he runs from it. I think he knows that would mean big trouble for him.

cluckeyo, Jul 21, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  12. tajnz

Anne Well-Known Member

@cluckeyo, well my small dogs loved my Twinkle like they were blood. I just used to delight seeing them play together. At that time I only had two small dogs. Twinkle would play with my younger dog until the dog got tired. Sometimes when she tried to do the same with the mother of said dog, she would give Twinkle a growl that said 'not me and that play thing, I am a grown woman' but still they loved each other like family.

Anne, Jul 21, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  13. tajnz

cluckeyo Active Member

@Anne I remember you telling me long ago that my cat Daisy looks like your Twinkle. That profile pic look incredibly like my Daisy! I'm assuming that Twinkle was a male?

cluckeyo, Jul 27, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  14. tajnz

Anne Well-Known Member

Yes, "she" was a male. We only found out a few months after he came home. I often have to go back and edit my post because I still write and speak of him as a girl. This week was one of those sad weeks where I found myself thinking a lot about him and looking over to where he is buried. Sometimes I think I am fine and then I get all sad..but like I wrote in another post I am much better.

I now have a "sweet tyrant" Ginger (another dog) who has been added to my dog family. I often wonder how they would get along. Ginger loves rough play and gives Zola one of my other dogs the time of her life with her rough play. I have visions of them literally bringing my house down.

Anne, Jul 27, 2016
    yourkiwim8 and cluckeyo like this.
  15. tajnz

Goodman Member

I hаvе а six-yеаr-оld nеutеrеd mаlе саt аnd а 12-yеаr-оld spаyеd fеmаlе саt. I'vе hаd bоth саts sinсе thеy wеrе 6 wееks оld sо this hаs bееn аn оngоing situаtiоn. Thе prоblеm is thаt whilе my mаlе саt lоvеs my dоg, thе nеighbоr's dоgs, аnd thе rаbbit, hе аttасks my fеmаlе саt еvеry timе hе sееs hеr. Thеy'vе bееn аblе tо соеxist аs thеy соmе in thе hоusе оn diffеrеnt shifts. My mаlе саt hаs thе dаy shift аnd hаngs оut in thе hоusе аnd yаrd whilе my fеmаlе саt stаys up а trее. Thеn in thе еvеning, my fеmаlе саt соmеs in tо slееp with mе аnd thе mаlе саt gоеs оut. In thе mоrning, thеy rоtаtе аgаin. Fights brеаk оut whеnеvеr thеy сrоss еасh оthеr оr if thеy bоth wаnt tо bе in thе hоusе duе tо rаin, еtс.
    I аm gоing tо bе mоving tо а соndо sооn аnd bоth саts will hаvе tо trаnsitiоn tо bесоming indооr саts. Sо hоw саn I bеst trаnsitiоn thеm tо living in сlоsеr prоximity tо оnе аnоthеr? аt thе mоmеnt my fеmаlе саt is pеtrifiеd оf thе mаlе аnd my dоg isn't tоо hаppy аbоut bеing а buffеr еithеr.

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
  16. tajnz

Novelangel Active Member

My kitty is an only child, and at times she just barely tolerates me, let alone other animals. We used to keep fish in an aquarium and that was her favorite hangout at the time. She would sit behind that tank for hours just watching the fish swim around and batting at the glass. For some reason, her favorite fish was the one that rarely moved. I think she liked scaring him and making him react. I've introduced her to the neighbors' dogs before and she doesn't think too highly of them, but doesn't do anything offensive either, so I guess her tolerance level for other animals is fairly high.

Novelangel, Jul 27, 2016
    yourkiwim8 likes this.
Ask a Question