Does your cat meow on the way to the vet?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by footballtim, Sep 6, 2012.

1. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

I have had cats that meowed during the whole drive to the vet. My two cats today meow a little, but not much. I guess they are used to it by now.

I always stick my hand in the cage and pet Tabitha to comfort her. If I did that to my Bengal, Phoebe, she would jump out of the cage, so I just talk to her to comfort her.

footballtim, Sep 6, 2012
  2. footballtim

kalasin Member

Meow? No. Howl? Yes. I didn't even know cats COULD howl :)

kalasin, Sep 6, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. footballtim

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes! Yes to the howling comment, too. Mine hates being in the car and it upsets her greatly. She'll meow and cry and whine the entire time. She just doesn't like it at all.

Jessi, Sep 7, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  4. footballtim

Yolanda Well-Known Member

We have five cats and most of them do meow on their way to the vet and yes, some of them howl as well. We pet them as well to comfort them, it always breaks me heart to hear they are so upset. But sometimes there is no other way around it.

Yolanda, Sep 9, 2012
  5. footballtim

footballtim Well-Known Member

I always try to comfort mine as well. Even if they still meow and/or howl on their way to the vet, you are still doing them a lot of good by trying to comfort them. My old roommate's cat would howl on the way, but not a peep on the way back.

footballtim, Sep 11, 2012
  6. footballtim

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

When My cat is sick he meows, it sounds so sad! Usually when he is in his cat carrier, if I put him in the front seat with me, so he can see me, he doesn't meow. If he is in the back alone, he will meow, not because he is going to the vet, but because he is alone.

Scottyxx, Sep 11, 2012
  7. footballtim

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Nope. They hardly ever meow at all actually. The only time they will say anything is usually when they want wet cat food, and they're getting impatient as we're opening the cans getting ready to plate it for them.

OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012
  8. footballtim

Trellum Well-Known Member

My cat likes to meow whenever we got in the car, I guess some cats are smart, very smart and they know where they're being headed. Actually the first time my cat got in the car he meowed a lot! So I guess the instinct is there :)

Trellum, May 1, 2014
Ask a Question