Does your cat like your computer?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by magickat, Dec 1, 2011.

1. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

All of my cats seem to love my laptop! They like sitting on it whether it is open or closed and like watching the mouse move around the screen. I am struggling to type at the moment as my cat Sav keeps licking my fingers! Does your cat do similar things?

magickat, Dec 1, 2011
  2. magickat

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Yes! Max *loves* my monitor. He sits right next to it and just looks. Sometimes he'll paw at it but he knows I don't allow that. I gently stop him. I think he likes the warmth too, and being close to me. Unfortunately, there's nowhere for him to sit on my desk without blocking some essential device or Wacom tablet, so I usually have him sleep or sit on my lap. I tried to get him to sit in a specific location on the desk but apparently it's not close enough to me...or maybe just not warm enough.

MaxKitteh, Dec 1, 2011
  3. magickat

Becky Well-Known Member

Have you seen that you can get apps for iPads which are specially designed for cats?! There is a computer programmer out that who must have the same problems with his cat as you! :)

Becky, Dec 1, 2011
    Yolanda and magickat like this.
  4. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Green Seven, my gray tom, simply loves my mouse. I have to keep on keeping it out of his reach. He loves my keyboard, too, but he knows I don't like it. So he plays on my keyboard when I am asleep. That's how I lost a few keys.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
    magickat likes this.
  5. magickat

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

Trinity likes to just about sit on the keyboard when i am at the computer, but I think that is more to make me pay more attention to her than the computer than her having a liking for the keyboard or computer.

Micheleteresa, Dec 2, 2011
  6. magickat

Da!sy Member

My cat, Alexi, likes to walk across the computer keys to get my attention. So far no damage to the keyboard. She also likes to sit on the little square comcast signal box because it's warm. I had to stop that because once she was able to disconnect the cable -- I truly don't know how. But I put the spray bottle, her deep enemy, on top of the signal box and she stays away. Occasionally she'll notice something on the screen and tilt her head. Cats are fun.

Da!sy, Dec 2, 2011
  7. magickat

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Haha.. I think they love the warmth. Mama will just come crawling on my laptop and sit herself down.. even while I'm typing. I spoil her, so I let her do it anyway, unless I am doing something absolutely crucial.

Belligerent, Dec 3, 2011
  8. magickat

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

My indoor cat loves my computer! She loves to watch the screen saver, it is a Christmas screen saver with elfs that are walking around and building toys. My cat loves to sit in front of the screen, it is so cute and funny!

Wahcashmom, Dec 16, 2011
  9. magickat

I think I am beginning to wean Green Seven from sleeping on my laptop. I keep on taking him off the laptop whenever he's on it. If I see him eying the laptop, I would scold him sharply. Maybe he's getting the message.

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  10. magickat

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Phobos used to sit on my lap and watch the cursor (back when I had an old CRT monitor). He's now too big to sit on my lap, so he lays on top of my computer desk next to my monitor sometimes while I'm working. And once in a while he'll try lying in front of the monitor. That never lasts very long.

Wallie0921, Dec 16, 2011
  11. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

I found today that you can download screensavers designed to appeal to cats. I'm interested to see their reaction, but don't really want to encourage the cats to like my laptop anymore lol

magickat, Dec 16, 2011
  12. magickat

The harder thing to do is to teach my cat not to play with my mouse. When I am using the mouse, he thinks the wire from the mouse to the laptop is alive. So he plays with it. Maybe I have to get a wireless mouse.

Victor Leigh, Dec 17, 2011
    Belligerent likes this.
  13. magickat

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I agree that the warmth most certainly has something to do with it. When I owned a laptop a couple of years ago my cats loved to lie down on it when it was closed and still warm. Otherwise they wouldn't come near it. Nowadays I have a PC and quite some room on my desk in front of the monitor. So now I have three out of five cats who fight for the right to lie in front of the monitor, lol! They love it because it's an ideal place to get attention and it's warm as well.

Yolanda, Dec 17, 2011
  14. magickat

nicola Active Member

Sophie likes to try and sit on my mum's laptop.
    She likes to come and sniff my iPad when I'm on it aswell.

nicola, Mar 16, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  15. magickat

It definitely has something to do with the warmth. On cold, rainy nights, my cats would either be on top of the tv or the fridge. Some would find a spot at the back of the fridge.

Victor Leigh, Mar 18, 2012
  16. magickat

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob loves to do the same, but I think that is mostly because he is an attention diva who actually can't take it when I am in front the laptop watching other cats, lol. But he seriously loves to get all the attention.

Trellum, Feb 24, 2014
  17. magickat

cluckeyo Active Member

He hasn't found the computer yet, but he is always in search of a new favorite place. He's been all over the house and when he finds a place he likes, he barely moves for a couple of weeks. lol :).

cluckeyo, May 30, 2016
  18. magickat

Valerie Active Member

Many of my cats have found the keyboard to be more desirable than my lap. That, or they feel it's amusing to attack the pointer as it moves across the screen. I even had one cat, my baby boy Niko, who hated being ignored and knew that the only way to get my attention was to drape across my arms as I typed. Then he'd look at me and give a throaty meow like, "What now?"

Valerie, May 30, 2016
  19. magickat

cecejailer Member

My cat absolutely loves sitting in my keyboard, specially when I have a lot of work to do haha. It also loves the light of my monitor, she even seems like a light bug sometimes, always following my monitor light, specially at night when there is no other light on. Sometimes I can swear she's watching Netflix with me.

cecejailer, Jun 30, 2016
  20. magickat

casey84 Active Member

Casey loves sitting on my laptop in winter, since it gets a little warm - I think he assumes it was made just for him to sleep on!

In saying that though the rest of the year he's not too fussed by it - he's more interested in the TV, especially if the program has birds on it...

casey84, Jul 15, 2016
Ask a Question