Does your cat like water?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Cathy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Cathy

Cathy Member

I was shocked last week when I drew a bath and Cleo, my rescue bengal (18 months old), sat on the side and was trying to bat the bubbles. So I put her rubber ball in the water and she was really enjoying splashing it about. I was a bit worried she was going to fall in and not be able to swim. I had a look on youtube because I thought this behaviour was seriously odd - and there are some videos of cats actually swimming in the bath!

My other cats are all terrified of water, won't go near the tap and will not step foot outside in rain.

Just curious really if anyone elses cats love or hate water?

Cathy, Feb 4, 2012
  2. Cathy

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Most of my cats view water as "that stuff in the bowl that we drink," but I have one water cat, the one in my icon. He mostly drinks from the faucet, but he plays in the water, too. He will also watch my shower water run (though he won't go into the shower stall until it's turned off).

The most annoying habit he has is when he knocks my orchid plant into the water. There's some kind of moss on top of the substrate, and the little moss bits get absolutely everywhere.

Wallie0921, Feb 6, 2012
  3. Cathy

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Haven't met any cats that liked water yet. Tolerate water, yes. Tolerate like when I give them a bath. Other than that, my cats keep clear of water. Except for drinking.

Victor Leigh, Feb 6, 2012
  4. Cathy

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Tigger doesn't mind water he'll jump in the sink when water is running to get a drink and Bella will even jump in my bath water, but Manx are supposed to like water. Booger wants no part of the water.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 6, 2012
  5. Cathy

Belligerent Well-Known Member

My cat absolutely hates water. If I even turn it on around her, she runs away. I have had cats in the past that loved it.. my cat Snickers used to put his head under running faucets. I think it depends on if they were exposed to it when they were younger.

Belligerent, Feb 7, 2012
  6. Cathy

Under running faucets? That's fantastic and totally uncatlike behavior. The only animals I have seen doing that are my ducks. I run off the water from my sink to a pipe over a tub in their pen. When I am washing something in the sink, my ducks would wait under the spout of the pipe to have a bath. On hot days, I would just run water from the sink to let them have some fun.

Victor Leigh, Feb 7, 2012
  7. Cathy

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

Oh! And my mom actually trained one of my previous cats, Opus, to drink from the faucet. Every time she went into the bathroom when she would stay with us, she would turn the water on to dribble and then let him drink drips from her fingertips. Eventually he figured out that the water was from the faucet and if he would go there it would just keep coming, rather than just drops. Soon after he started drinking right from it.

Wallie0921, Feb 7, 2012
  8. Cathy

It was very strange, that's for sure. My stepmom had him before I met her so I don't know how long he had been putting his head under the faucet or for what reasons. You have ducks? How cute. :)

Belligerent, Feb 7, 2012
  9. Cathy

magickat Well-Known Member

Most of my cats like the water, especially when I am in the bath. Pawsie likes to get under the shower sometimes and I've caught blacberry sticking her head under a running tap lol

magickat, Feb 7, 2012
  10. Cathy

So cute! I had a cat named Katarmari that would paw at me through the shower curtain every time I would take a bath or shower.

Belligerent, Feb 7, 2012
  11. Cathy

Well, whenever I had a bath, my cats would sit outside the door and mew softly. Probably they were wondering how I managed not to drown under all that water from the shower head.

Victor Leigh, Feb 8, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  12. Cathy

eileen szydlowski New Member

My cat does like water. When I take a bath she loves playing from the spicket. She is quite funny and loves to walk on tub rim... she actually purrs!
    Who would of thought cat likes water.

eileen szydlowski, Feb 8, 2012
  13. Cathy

SassyBrat Member

My boy Jingles likes to paw at the water bowl. I've since learned that he does this most likely to remove any stagnet water:rolleyes: (just sounds odd since it is changed often lol). Cinder likes anything to do with the faucet in the sink (Jingles I think has been teaching him a few things lol)

Ella, wants no part of the water other than to drink it.:)

SassyBrat, Feb 8, 2012
  14. Cathy

dortort New Member

At beginning was hard to use my cat what mean water,then easy easy she begin came to me and show me that she want "shower":).Was
    amazing discovery for she.

dortort, Feb 10, 2012
  15. Cathy

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Today I gave my grand daughter a bath in my tub and she forgot to let the water out and by the time I got back in there to let the water out Bella was already in the tub. So, I would say that Bella definitely likes water. LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SheWolfSilver, Feb 13, 2012
    Belligerent likes this.
  16. Cathy

Oh my gosh those pictures are simply adorable! She looks so happy to be in that water! I think the trick is to teach them to like it when they're young.

Belligerent, Feb 13, 2012
  17. Cathy

Goodness, that black cat looks like it's about to go underwater. Totally uncat-like behaviour. If any of my cats were to fall into a tub full of water like that, it would be screaming its head off.

Victor Leigh, Feb 16, 2012
  18. Cathy

Carolinagirl Member

My cat hates water, but I still give her baths. She is not too happy with me on those days.

Carolinagirl, Feb 17, 2012
  19. Cathy

inTHEsane Active Member

Having a Bengal cat, it doesn't surprise of the lack of fear of water, it is more common with them. My cat tiger would always hate the water, and the few times a bath was needed over the years with her it was a bloody mess every time. No worries just my own blood not hers of course, she had the sharpest and fastest claws I've ever seen/felt on a cat, and I've been whacked by many a kitty over the years. lol. However in her later years when she was switched over to inside cat only[moved away from my parents house with her at age of 16] she had a thing for wanting fresh cold water. The bird baths outsides streams and what not, since she didn't have this anymore if ever we left the tub dripping or a faucet she'd either be drinking at it or pawing at it to clean herself with.

inTHEsane, Feb 26, 2012
  20. Cathy

Trellum Well-Known Member

Bob doesn't seem to be a big fan of water, sadly :( He doesn't seem to enjoy his baths, but at least he is very cooperative. He just meows a lot while I do it, as if I was torturing him or something, lol. He really doesn't like the experience. I'm glad we don't get to do that so often.

Trellum, Jan 24, 2014
Ask a Question