Does your cat like the car?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cocolgooh, Apr 26, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgooh Member

The cat I have now doesn't like the car much at all and will cry if you take her anywhere near it, but her brother when we still had him used to love it. He'd jump in every time we got home and have a look around inside. He used to jump in and try to find his food if we'd gone grocery shopping too. If we ever had to take him to the vet he'd purr his little head off all the way there and back in the car too. He simply loved the car!

Does your cat like the car?

cocolgooh, Apr 26, 2016
  2. cocolgooh

kdb890 Member

Many cats are diverse on this subject; some love it and some hate it. My cat is indifferent about it, I think. He doesn't whine and cry if he's in the car, he just sits quietly in his cage in the backseat. I take long 12-hour trips to see my family in TN and he only meows when he needs to use the bathroom or is hungry/thirsty. If I'm just taking him to the vet though, he'll sit in my boyfriends lap in the passenger seat and either look out the window or lie down.

kdb890, Apr 27, 2016
  3. cocolgooh

Norjak71 New Member

I have two and it's their least favorite place in the world. Whenever we have to take them to the vet for their annual checkup we try to cover up the little carrying cage with a blanket that they like to sit on in the house so they feel more comfortable, but the 20 minute ride there is filled with nothing but crying. We've tried to take them out and hold them to give them signs of assurance, but that doesn't work either. Thankfully, this is only a once a year type event.

Norjak71, May 2, 2016
  4. cocolgooh

kdb890 Member

Aww, that's too bad that they experience such distress. You could always try using those hormones you can buy on the market that help with stress in occassions such as these.

kdb890, May 2, 2016
  5. cocolgooh

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My youngest cat doesn't mind it to much but my older cat absolutely hates it. He cats all the time he is in the car.

Susan Brown, May 2, 2016
  6. cocolgooh

GabbyTheTabby Member

We recently found that when we go on road trips to see family, one of us (usually daddy) has to sit in the back with her, she'll fall asleep on him and stays pretty content. IF we don't do this, she'll usually worry herself sick :(

GabbyTheTabby, May 3, 2016
  7. cocolgooh

Novelangel Active Member

My cat travels really well actually. She has become more of a house cat lately, but as a kitten, she was a world class car rider. We would take her on trips lasting around three hours and she would enjoy it immensely. After a while she'd become a bit bored, I think, and come to me and cry, but other than that, she was fine. We always took a little litter box and her food and water along, so she was pretty content. We would just let her roam the car as every part of it was open access to her except for the dashboard and beneath the foot pedals on the driver's side. Naturally, those were her two favorite spots and she would spend the whole journey attempting to get into one of those two places. It was a struggle of wills so lately we have kept her home and I think she's fine with that, as home seems to be her favorite place now.

Novelangel, May 9, 2016
  8. cocolgooh

Valerie Active Member

Only one cat of mine liked the car, but he's passed. All the others would turn into the epitome of pandemonium as soon as the key went into the ignition. Niko, however, would immediately go to the rear window of my Corolla and sprawl out in the sun. It was always amusing watching people react to the cat looking at them. He was probably one of the most chill animals I've ever met.

Valerie, May 16, 2016
  9. cocolgooh

Anne Well-Known Member

I think my Twinkle hated the car from what I remember. When I did let her outside (still think it is the biggest mistake I made) I don't think he ever ventured near the car. The one time I took him for a drive it was awful because he was tiny and it was in an enclosed basket and he felt like a prisoner.

Anne, May 30, 2016
  10. cocolgooh

cluckeyo Active Member

I have to put our cat in a pet carrier, in order to get him in the car. I'm really afraid if I didn't, he might jump out at first opportunity and I would never see him again. About the only reason he ever gets in the car is to go see the vet. So we get out pet carrier. In the carrier he is calm.

cluckeyo, May 30, 2016
Ask a Question