Does your cat like catnip?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cocolgooh, May 2, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgooh Member

My cat isn't particularly interested in it, but her brother when we had him absolutely loved it and would beg and beg for some catnip treats. I'm not entirely sure why my cat doesn't like catnip so much though. Other cats I've had in the past have always seemed to enjoy it too.

cocolgooh, May 2, 2016
  2. cocolgooh

kdb890 Member

My cat likes catnip, but he doesn't beg for it or anything like that. He likes it while he's using it, but it's not something he whines for. It's something special that we don't give him a lot, though, so perhaps that's why he doesn't make a big deal out of it unless he's in the process of rolling around in it, haha.

kdb890, May 2, 2016
  3. cocolgooh

Jamie9162 New Member

My cat loves cat nip. I think it is more effective if you put it in one of the little stuffer (usually shaped like a mouse or some thing) toys and have them play with it. They really go crazy and just love it! My friend's cat though will literally eat it. At pet supply stores (Pet Supplies Plus is where I go) you can buy cat nip plants! They love it and are so funny with the plant!

Jamie9162, May 2, 2016
  4. cocolgooh

Novelangel Active Member

My cat loves nip, but it needs to be dried up before she becomes interested in it. I once had a live catnip plant in a pot that I kept down at her level for her to munch on at will. I was hoping that this would cure her of chewing on my other plants, but she pretty much ignored it and continued to attack my delicate houseplants. When the catnip plant got buggy I banished it to the balcony where it sat until it froze in the late fall. I crumpled up chunks of the dead leaves and gave them to her and she had herself a little party. Now I just gather catnip leaves and let them dry to give to her from time to time as a treat.

Novelangel, May 2, 2016
  5. cocolgooh

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

If they have it they like it but I don't get it for this often. One of my cats is more fond of it then the other one. I have seen cats react definitely to it and I don't think the it is odd that your cat doesn't like it.

Susan Brown, May 2, 2016
  6. cocolgooh

Lanie New Member

I can't even imagine a cat that doesn't love catnip, as every single cat I ever had would go nuts for it (and I've had a lot of cats in my life). I used to keep it in the cupboard. One day I went out and when I got home I found two very happy cats laying about and an open cupboard door. From counter top to sink, floor and carpet, every surface from kitchen to living room was covered in catnip. I found a chewed up empty bag behind the couch. Whatever crazy cat party they had while I was out looked like fun for sure.

Needless to say, I don't keep catnip in the cupboard anymore.

Lanie, May 2, 2016
  7. cocolgooh

GabbyTheTabby Member

Nothing strange about a cat not liking catnip. If I recall, I read a veterinary study that showed that only about 65% of cats actually react to it, so while a majority like it, it isn't strange at all for a cat to not like it.

Gabby is completely indifferent to catnip. We tried catnip oil, spray, real cat nip plants, and dried cat nip. The closest we had to a reaction was when she sniffed some dried catnip and sneezed!

Here, check out the wiki article on catnip - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catnip

It says that 33% of cats do not react to catnip at all, and that the urge to consume or a reaction to catnip is hereditary.

GabbyTheTabby, May 3, 2016
  8. cocolgooh

Trellum Well-Known Member

Mine is, it drives him crazy, and as soon as he has contact with it he starts to behave like a little boy, running around the room and such. It's really funny :) But I have heard this doesn't work for all cats.

Trellum, May 22, 2016
Ask a Question