Does your cat let you sleep through the night?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jezebella, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Jezebella

Jezebella Member

I have always had cats who lived with me, but my current cat is way more emotionally needy than any of the others I've ever had. She will start meowing in the middle of the night, or jump between my bed and dresser until it wakes me up. I've started setting my alarm clock fifteen minutes earlier than I normally would to give her a bit of attention in the morning, but I'm not sure what to do about her nighttime activity. Does anyone have any advice?

Jezebella, Jul 5, 2013
  2. Jezebella

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Maybe do some intense playtime before you go to sleep at night? That might wear her out some, so she'll fall asleep and stay that way longer.

My cats only wake me up if they get locked in or out of my bedroom and would like things to be the other way around. They generally leave me alone at night, but if they want to be in a certain area and I'm stopping them, they'll get pissed.

blurinoctober, Jul 7, 2013
  3. Jezebella

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm a night owl, so my sleep schedule is inconsistent anyway.
    But my cat isn't that needy so I don't think she would wake me up.
    It's kind of sweet that your cat loves you that much, but I can see how it would be frustrating to have your cat jump on the bed in the middle of the night.
    I agree with Blur that maybe you need to tire your cat out before you go to bed, maybe have her chase a laser pointer until she's tuckered out.

ACSAPA, Aug 2, 2013
  4. Jezebella

Trellum Well-Known Member

A thing you could do is simply locking the door, so the cat isn't in the same room as you. That way if it starts meowing you will not even hear it. I know that having your cat in your room can be really nice, I actually like my cat sleeps in my room... it makes me feel kinda safe (no idea why) specially when my boyfriend isn't home. But he's not prone to meowing at night :) He's very well adjusted.

Trellum, Oct 26, 2013
Ask a Question