Does your cat have any illness or disease?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Scottyxx, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cat is 1 1/2 he has been diagnosed with IBD, I am so sad, and stressing out over it, does anyone else's cat have any medical condition?

Scottyxx, Sep 19, 2012
  2. Scottyxx

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

My cat doesn't appear to have any issues, but that doesn't mean he's never going to. Have the vets given you any special dietary lists for your cat, or has he been given medication for it instead? It's generally healthier to treat things with with diet rather than filling animals up with drugs, but sometimes it can't be avoided. I found the following link on Google, you might want to take a look:

Feline Inflammatory Bowel Disease: Nature and Treatment

Evilsprinkles, Sep 20, 2012
  3. Scottyxx

Right now he is on Predeslone or something, some sort of streroids for cats to try and get him to level out. We have a special Fibre food from the vet, which we have been told to mix with another food. But the only other food he will eat is Carlyle's Just Tuna for cats, so I am giving him that until he levels himself out.

Scottyxx, Sep 20, 2012
  4. Scottyxx

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Cats can be SO picky, is ridiculous. Mine isn't interested in tuna at all, he just turns his nose up at it. They can be conditioned into eating things they might not, because they won't let themselves starve. It's hard though, when you've got to make dietary alterations, they can make you feel so guilty and bad for not giving them what they really want. Best of luck to you.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 21, 2012
  5. Scottyxx

Yeah, its so hard! Because if his IBD he lost around 4lbs which is a lot for a little cat. You can feel he is basically just bones covered in fur! So I am basically giving him whatever will stimulate him right now, as its so difficult to get him to eat, because he is so used to throwing up everything he eats!

Scottyxx, Sep 21, 2012
  6. Scottyxx

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about your cat's IBD. I hope you are able to get him to put on some weight. My current cat doesn't have any issues (knock on wood). The only cat I've had with anything resembling a health problem is my cat that had one eye, but he was a pretty happy cat and figured out how to get around with one eye.

ACSAPA, Sep 23, 2012
  7. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine hasn't been diagnosed with anything in particular, but she's getting old and obviously has some health issues. She throws up quite regularly and if we change her food, it makes it worse. She seems perfectly fine otherwise, though.

Jessi, Sep 24, 2012
  8. Scottyxx

Beth23 Well-Known Member

Sorry about your cat being sick. My cat has diabetes. It took some time for us to adjust to the shots and the food guidlines but now he is doing much better. IBD is something you can manage with meds and diet, isnt it ?

Beth

Beth23, Sep 24, 2012
  9. Scottyxx

Yes, they say I can control it with the right diet eventually, but finding that diet is very stressful as if he even eats one bite of something he is not supposed to, he is pooping blood again...

Scottyxx, Sep 24, 2012
  10. Scottyxx

Trellum Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about my cat. Mine is actually asthmatic, which is weird because I'm also asrthmatic. So me and my poor boy are affected by this. I'm not that sad about it because is asthma rarely flares up and I take good care of him all the time :)

Trellum, Jan 16, 2014
  11. Scottyxx

GeeTee Member

Sorry to hear your cat has IBD. Mine does not have a medical condition, at least nothing that has been diagnosed, but he does have a case of the "grumpies when I feel like it". I note that the most common signs of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in cats are diarrhea, vomiting, and weight loss. As an adult cat who does his business outdoors and keep it covered, it would be hard for me to see if there's blood in the stool, but may be able to tell if there's diarrhea if his behind is left messy. I'll have to keep an eye out for these.

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  12. Scottyxx

Valerie Active Member

Cats I've had in the past have been inflicted with so many things, you'd think they were cursed. My mother's cat, Wicket, even contracted a super rare disease that nearly killed her. It some kind of potent vertigo that left her head permanently titled. Other cats have had IBD, cancer, diabetes, dermatitis, nervous conditions, respiratory complications, heart murmurs... the whole nine yards. It's crazy how many diseases our poor pets can get.

Valerie, Jul 15, 2016
  13. Scottyxx

Goodman Member

Hе's 1 yеаr оld. Hе pukеd yеstеrdаy. Hаsn't bееn еаting dry fооd (сhаngеd thе fооd brаnd sinсе lаst twо dаys). But hе's bееn еаting wеt fооd аnd sееms rеlаtivеly dull. оthеr саts dоn't sееm tо hаvе а prоblеm with сhаngе in fооd brаnd. Is hе siсk оr nоt liking thе fооd ?

Goodman, Jul 15, 2016
Ask a Question