Does your cat eat vegetables?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by magickat, Nov 30, 2011.

1. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

My cats seem to like some vegetables, especially peas! They have also been known to eat cabbage, carrots and they love baked beans.

On a related note I read somewhere that onions are very bad for cats - does anyone else know anything about this?

magickat, Nov 30, 2011
  2. magickat

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

When I adopted my first cat, we were cautioned against giving them "people food," unless it was vegetables. The guy doing the adoption laughed and said, "Like you can get a cat to eat vegetables." ;)

I had a cat that ate corn, and another that ate rice cakes. I don't think any of my current cats like to eat anything other than cat food, though. . . .

Wallie0921, Nov 30, 2011
  3. magickat

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

No, most of my cats do not eat any veggies. I only have one cat that loves pickles, and the others will only eat cat food. They like the wet and dry cat food. The cat that likes pickles, loves to eat just about anything you put in front of him.

Wahcashmom, Dec 1, 2011
  4. magickat

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Cats will eat a lot of things that are bad for them, or that they cannot process or digest well. I would avoid feeding a cat veggies because they are obligate carnivores and well, I don't think it's good for them (and they lack the enzymes to digest veggies properly).

MaxKitteh, Dec 1, 2011
  5. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My cats do not like cat food. They want just what I eat. So when I eat carrots, they eat carrots. When I eat spinach, they eat spinach, too. Of course, I try to eat fish everyday so that they can get their share of proper nutrients.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
    magickat likes this.
  6. magickat

I've never heard that cats shouldn't eat vegetables. In fact, the one thing that cats don't get from a pure meat diet is fiber, which, yes, is indigestible, but is beneficial for the digestive tract. Even big cats are known to eat grass of their own volition.

Wallie0921, Dec 1, 2011
  7. magickat

@Victor: Please, don't ever eat chocolate, you might kill your cat.

@Wallie: It's basic cat physiology. Cats might eat grass on the rare occasion to settle their stomachs, but that's about it. Cats are obligate (strict) carnivores. This (by definition) means they get *all* their nutrients (not some) from meat, bones and organ meat. Cats just don't hunt carrots in the wild. ;)

MaxKitteh, Dec 2, 2011
  8. magickat

MaxKitteh, Dec 2, 2011
  9. magickat

Alright, advice received in good order and duly acknowledged.

Actually if I indulge in chocolate I might end up killing myself first. Don't worry about that. Where I live, chocolate is an expensive luxury. Just a teeny eeny leetle piece that won't even make a mouthful costs one whole usd.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
    MaxKitteh likes this.
  10. magickat

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I don't often give my kitty's table food but I know from this passed thanksgiving, when my son dropped some mashed sweet potatoes, Precious likes sweet potatoes.

Micheleteresa, Dec 2, 2011
  11. magickat

OT, but where do you live?

Wallie0921, Dec 3, 2011
  12. magickat

I lived in Thailand for the last twenty years. Now I am in Malaysia just 50 kilometers from the Thai border. Chocolate is expensive on both sides of the border.

Victor Leigh, Dec 3, 2011
  13. magickat

Good on ya Victor for listening and yeah, too bad about the price of chocolate over there! :) That's why forums are valuable...we learn and we teach. :)

MaxKitteh, Dec 6, 2011
  14. magickat

How about making forums even more useful like sending those delicious chocolate bars to people in less fortunate countries? Mainly to people like me. How about that?

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
  15. magickat

kat74 Active Member

Our cat likes eating kale's, avocados and boiled corn. I used to find her very weird because the only thing that any cats like are milk and meat. But after reading what your cats likes to eat, I think my cat is just normal.

kat74, Dec 20, 2011
  16. magickat

I think Green Seven is getting addicted to carrots. The last few days, I changed my cooking and left out the carrots. He would look in his food dish and talk to me. Kind of like asking "Hey, where are those tasty red things?"

Victor Leigh, Dec 21, 2011
  17. magickat

Alli Well-Known Member

My boy kitty loves lettuce. He doesn't eat any other veggies- but he loves pimentos from olives, too- he pulls them out and leaves the olive. My girl cat only likes cat food.

Alli, Dec 22, 2011
  18. magickat

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat likes to eat popcorn and I know that some brands of cat food (bad ones) have a bunch of corn meal in them. My cat eats potatoes, corn, but not carrots. I did have a dog who would go wild for carrots though. I think it's bad for their digestion, but it is funny to watch them try new foods. I just take it away when my cat tries to eat bad things.

steph84, Dec 27, 2011
  19. magickat

amy005 Well-Known Member

I try not to feed any of my pets people food. Pet food was made for a reason and many things will make your cat sick if you eat it. Thankfully my cat has no desire to eat many foods, especially veggies. The only thing he has ever had that was intended for a human was milk and tuna.

amy005, Dec 28, 2011
Ask a Question