Does your cat drool?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by wils172, Feb 24, 2012.

1. wils172

wils172 Active Member

Everytime my cat lays with me she drools all over.. worse than a dog. I've never seen or heard of cats doing this before so I wanted to know if any of you have experienced the same thing?

wils172, Feb 24, 2012
  2. wils172

inTHEsane Active Member

I have never seen or heard of it before either, however there were certain things that would cause my cat Tiger to drool. One was After Eights, she use to love rubbing up against a box of them and then before you know it the box was damp and she was soaked in her face. A few other things made her react like that too. Is it just you she drools on or is she drooling on others? Also is she just drooling when laying on someone or can you actively see it when she's doing something else?

inTHEsane, Feb 25, 2012
  3. wils172

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

First time I have heard of a cat drooling. Maybe you should take it to the vet to find out what's the problem. Could be something stuck in the mouth.

Victor Leigh, Feb 26, 2012
  4. wils172

steph84 Well-Known Member

Aw, I had a cat who would drool. We had to euthanize her last fall (she was 15 years old and got sick), but she drooled ever since she was a kitty. Guests would pet her and the waterworks would instantly start.

steph84, Feb 26, 2012
  5. wils172

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Drool as badly as this?
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Feb 27, 2012
  6. wils172

magickat Well-Known Member

Most of my cats dribble when they are happy, I think it's quite cute! It's not a lot - I didn't think it was unusual....

magickat, Feb 27, 2012
  7. wils172

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

It seems drooling may be caused by pleasure, when a kitty is happy and content, going by the posts here. The only time I have dealt with drooling it has been due to sickness or a dental problem.

Micheleteresa, Feb 28, 2012
  8. wils172

steph84 Well-Known Member

I think I've seen sick kitties drooling too, but it wasn't like a clear type of drool. It was more foamy. If your cat has a foamy drool then you should take it to your vet immediately. Thanks for bringing up that point Micheleteresa!

steph84, Feb 28, 2012
  9. wils172

wils172 Active Member

I've only noticed her drooling when she's laying in someone's lap.

wils172, Mar 1, 2012
  10. wils172

wils172 Active Member

It seems my cat only drools when she's cuddling and happy as well.. just didn't realize cats did that..

wils172, Mar 1, 2012
  11. wils172

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I can honestly say that none of my cats drool, that I've ever noticed. I would think if one of my cats drooled that I would need to take them to the vet. The vet usually tells pet owners to watch for anything unsual. Their bodies will tell you when something in their bodies is abnormal, and needs further investigations.

Jenny Heart, Apr 3, 2012
  12. wils172

april222 Member

My cat Rusty actually does drool and I don't know if this will work for you but it worked for me. He only drools when he jumps up on my chest so one day I could see the drool pooling up and was probably just a few seconds from having drool fall on top of me and liked my lips. Rusty looked up at me and I'm not sure what exactly he did, I believe that he swallowed his drool. So after that each time I would watch for him to start drooling and when it built up I would lick my lips again, with the same result. As time went by, he starting swallowing his drool on his own. It's probably been over a year now since I've been drooled on.

april222, Apr 16, 2012
  13. wils172

Jessi Well-Known Member

Mine don't.

Now the younger one, when she's being cuddled, *does* like to lick people, herself, whatever's in front of her, or even the air, ha. Her tongue is just going no matter what. It's dry, though, and she doesn't drool at all.

Jessi, Apr 24, 2012
  14. wils172

Mystique Well-Known Member

This is interesting - I didn't know cat drools, maybe because I have never had one that does. I would definitely take it to the vet if it were unusual. Knowing me, I would freak out because it would be something new to me!

Mystique, May 1, 2012
  15. wils172

btatro Well-Known Member

A cat I used to have did drool a bit, and it was when she was happy/ being petted as well. It was never very much, but definitely noticeable.

btatro, May 4, 2012
  16. wils172

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I had a cat named Star that drooled all the time! She would knead me and drool and purr as loud as she could. It was obvious that she did it when she was happy, but I had never heard of another cat doing it until now. It was kind of gross but endearing at the same time.

Belligerent, May 5, 2012
Ask a Question