Does your cat bother the Christmas tree?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Susan Brown, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My older cat enjoys sleeping under the tree. He never bothers the ornaments or decorations. The other cat though he hasn't climbed the tree yet, I wouldn't be surprised if he decided to this year. He does like to steal the ornaments from the bottom of the tree and bat them around the house. When I got him I had to change all my ornaments to unbreakable ones. He is always into something.

Susan Brown, Nov 26, 2015
  2. Susan Brown

KimmyMarkks Active Member

Last year my cat knocked over the Christmas tree then got so scared she hid for the whole afternoon. She was trying to climb the tree when it fell over. She is an indoor cat so she doesn't get that much excitement. She also likes to knock off all the low hanging ornaments. She chases them around the house and I am always tripping over them. Lets just say she is a trouble maker when it comes to the Christmas tree.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 3, 2015
  3. Susan Brown

p885 Member

One year my cat Snowball climbed to the top of my tree and went to sleep on it.

p885, Dec 8, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  4. Susan Brown

Poor kitty I guess she must have got a surprise and a scare when that tree came down! Is she bothering the tree this years? Did you tie it down this year? lol

Susan Brown, Dec 9, 2015
  5. Susan Brown

KimmyMarkks Active Member

She definitely got a scare! She stayed away from it for some time. Now she is just curious with our new tree. She sniffs it like everything else I bring in my home, but she hasn't bothered it yet. I think she learned her lesson last year.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
  6. Susan Brown

Glad to hear that she learned her lesson even though it was the hard way to do it. Sometimes that is all it takes. :)

Susan Brown, Dec 10, 2015
  7. Susan Brown

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob didn't grow up seeing a Christmas tree, so I am a bit worried about his reaction now that we are moving out and we will have a Christmas tree in our house. I think that when you expose them to one when they are kittens is no big deal, but it is a very different things when they are old the first time they see one.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2016
  8. Susan Brown

morgoodie Member

I would purposely leave ornaments off the very bottom of the tree so that my cats would not bother it. Once they got used to it being there they never really gave it any more thought. I think mine were just too lazy to bother with it and try to climb it or something.

morgoodie, Mar 31, 2016
  9. Susan Brown

Donna Member

My cat pretty much ignores the Christmas tree. She is outdoors most of the time so maybe she gets her fill of tree climbing with the real trees.

Donna, May 9, 2016
  10. Susan Brown

Valerie Active Member

Out of all the cats I've had, there was only one maniac named Maxwell that tried to climb the tree on year. We'd gotten a smaller one to put on a table, because we were going to have company and didn't have room for a bigger one. Good thing we didn't! I spent hours decorating the tree.The next morning, when I woke up and went to the kitchen to make my coffee, boy did I get a shock.

One moment it was standing. Maxwell was smugly looking at me from underneath the table as I turned my back to get the Folgers. When I turned back towards the stove, I saw the tree tip over out of the corner of my eye and a black bolt go rushing upstairs to where my mom slept. That cat was such a jerk. But I miss him dearly now that he's passed away. Never again did a cat bother the tree.

Valerie, May 9, 2016
  11. Susan Brown

Donna Member

Oh boy! See they know when they've been naughty.

Donna, May 9, 2016
  12. Susan Brown

Novelangel Active Member

My girl actually climbs the tree and then sits there at the top looking down at me like, "okay, hand me the angel, mom. I got this." I figured maybe I should just decorate her and be done with it, because she had such a fascination with the sparklies and baubles. Surprisingly enough, she did no actual damage to the tree or ornaments, but there were a few that she just couldn't resist knocking down daily. I would find her batting shiny balls across the floor practically every day. If I'd given one to her as a cat toy, she probably would have ignored it completely.

Novelangel, May 16, 2016
Ask a Question