Does your cat bite?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Susan Brown, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My older cat never bites but the younger one will bite you when you are playing with him. He doesn't bite hard but he still nips you. It is usually when he gets over excited so we have to have a time out until he calms down.

Susan Brown, Jan 10, 2016
  2. Susan Brown

Trellum Well-Known Member

No, my Bob has never been a biter, not even when he was younger :) He has always been a little diva though, he just likes to be petted so much, if he gets that he is super happy and is all he needs :)

Trellum, Jan 10, 2016
  3. Susan Brown

Awwwe that is so sweet. Merle is more of a cuddler thend Harley is but it's on his own time. He is pretty active so when he finally tires himself out he likes to snuggle.

Susan Brown, Jan 16, 2016
  4. Susan Brown

Anne Well-Known Member

I don't have this recollection of my Twinkle although I have read that quite a few cats do bite. I sprain my brain to remember if maybe I got a little friendly nip here or there and I still come up empty.

Anne, Jan 23, 2016
  5. Susan Brown

MER Well-Known Member

In the morning when Rosco greets me at the bedroom door, he's all purr and rubbing to be petted. After a few rubs he'll chomp on my thumb or finger or too. Never drew blood but more like teething. He's got his adult teeth now so I'm not sure what's up with that. When he's grooming himself, he'll sometimes chomp on my fingers too. Gemma, she'll actually nip at me when she's in a foul mood as well - kinda like all the time. ;)

MER, Jan 25, 2016
  6. Susan Brown

Rosco sounds a lot like my Merle. He doesn't bite to hurt but he will chomp on you especially when you are petting him and he had enough. Rather then just get up and leave he will start biting us instead.

Susan Brown, Jan 29, 2016
  7. Susan Brown

Byron nelson Active Member

One thing I’ve done for a long time with my dogs and now my new cat is I don’t allow play fighting and biting. I’ve used a tug toy with dogs but it’s a reward then followed with an out or let go command meaning we are fin for now. My new cat, kitten has needle sharp claws but I gently stop her from biting if she gets stuck on something. We don’t play rough and no wrassljng or forced tummy rubs. Everything is gentle and no yelling or loud noises. She runs all over very fast but no attacks or grab and bites permitted. I just defuse the situation as easily as I can. Once calmed down I offer a treat or something she really likes. I finally got her to eat a small piece of cooked chicken or beef and a few cat treats pets are always available so I try to get her comfortable being touched even as she walks by.
    In protection dog training gripping or biting the training sleeve was important. But at the same time it was important to know when to stop and calm down. Called the off switch. The better the dog learned this the harder he worked under pressure. Just like athletic conditioning. Dogs learned very quickly that the harder they gripped the better the reward.when put into real life in a dark alley or building they worked incredibly hard. We all had a few trips t the ER to show for it. The dogs knew it was serious business just like making that big play in the red zone in football. Or that diving catch in baseball.

byron

Byron nelson, Jul 14, 2021
  8. Susan Brown

catalone Member

NO... the very idea...

catalone, Jul 17, 2021
Ask a Question