Does you cat catch mice?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cluckeyo, Jul 27, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Active Member

Daisy is a pro at this. He catches them and eats them. Sometimes plays with them for awhile first. Please take care not to put poisons out in areas where your cat could get to the poison or the poisoned mouse. Once Daisy ate a poisoned mouse and became very sick, and almost died. It's a wonder that he lived through it.

cluckeyo, Jul 27, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Wow that must have been scary for you. So glad to hear that Daisy made it through it okay. My cats are indoor cats so they don't catch mice. We had a mouse in our house one time though and the cat did catch it.

Susan Brown, Jul 27, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

CrazyCatLady74 Member

My cats are indoors all the time and thankfully we don't have a rodent problem but I do buy them fake mice. They especially like these small rubber mice I buy. I throw one at them and my male cats scamper over to them like it is chore but my youngest kitty, she has pretty much torn up every one of the mice that I have bought and they come in a package of eight. She goes crazy with them for about five minutes and then by the end the tail's gone and they are ripped to shreds. It is pretty entertaining to watch. I am not sure I would feel the same way if she was doing that to a real mouse. Yikes! I have to say out of my 3 cats she is the hunter of the bunch. My other cats are both male and for some reason really lazy. They would definitely be relying on her for food if they were outside cats and they were limited on food options.

CrazyCatLady74, Jul 27, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

Anne Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think I loved Twinkle to every fault but when it came to the gifts of mice he brought me I was not very thrilled. I am terrified of the little creatures and a few times before his passing, I opened the door to find him with this thing dangling from his mouth. I screamed for dear life and both were left outside. I think he eventually learned that mummy was not a fan of mice and only a fan of him.

Anne, Jul 27, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

GeeTee Member

My cat catches mice as well. Good point on the poison. What I hated was when he thought it was natural to take home his catch and go hide under a bed or somewhere to enjoy it in peace. Oh boy! He also used to catch them, lizards as well, and just stunt them then take them inside to finish tormenting before eating them. Sometimes he seemed to get bored and guess who was left chasing a lizard or mice.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

casey84 Active Member

Casey doesn't - at least he's never brought me one! But he's predominantly inside. I had an old cat named Prince who definitely was a good catcher - but he was an older cat so maybe he progressed his skills at it over time!!

casey84, Aug 3, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

Neo Member

I actually don't know if any of my cats eat mouses as I don't have. I'm sure they probably would if they got a hold of one. I just can't see it happening, neither one of my 4 cats have been near one so to see it as food would be awkward I think.

I didn't know that mice can be poisonous, I hate to hear that, but glad he made it through OK.

Neo, Aug 16, 2016
  8. cluckeyo

Rufino Member

Yes! Absolutely, I actually have four of them and one of them, named Rufi used to be the laziest one of the group, until I do not really know what happeend to him, he basically started hunting and killing mice and also every single little thing that could move on his sight, it's such an amazing thing how nature works and how animals can develop some skills by themselves, it is just amazing.

Rufino, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question