Does anyone have plants for their cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by SheWolfSilver, Mar 21, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about planting some catnip or cat grass in a pot for the cats to play with or what ever but my husband thinks it is a bad idea. He thinks that they will start going to the bathroom in the pots instead of the litter box. Has anyone ever planted things for your cats and if so was this an issue?

SheWolfSilver, Mar 21, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

Jessie New Member

I have not, but I ws considering the same thing. When David goes outside, he starts chomping on anything green---I'm serious. My roommates hardened large-leaf plant! Ask the people at PetSmart. I'd advise to plant it in soil in something like a small bucket for it to grow out of. The cats won't be able to fit their behinds in it to go to the bathroom.

Jessie, Mar 21, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

OK. So I'm not usually a person who writes about gross stuff, but when you start talking about cats and green stuff, I do have some stories to tell...so if you don't like biological talk, don't read further.
    Yes, cats do need greens. Even though they eat primarily meat, if you think about it, when they eat mice, mice eat primarily plant material. So, if your cat eats a mouse, a whole mouse, (and they DO consume the whole mouse, bones and all) then they get a certain amount of redigested green stuff from the mouse. So, if you have a housecat, they need to have you supplement the green stuff they would get in the wild. I have had cats for my whole life, and they have taught me valuable lessons. Speaking from experience, your husband is right, they will start using any pot they can for a cat-box. So, plant a smaller planter. If you go to a garden shop, they have seeds called 'cat-grass'. Seriously, use a smaller pot and plant several small pots.
    My cats are strictly indoors. I do not let them out because we live on a cat-killer street. They attack every plant I have in the house, and then, they up-chuck the chewed greens. See my icon, eating daisies. That's Van, my plant eating-fiend. Be very, very careful what kind of houseplants you have, because so many of them are poisonous to cats. They just need the greens, so we need to provide that for them!

Kay Dougall, Mar 25, 2015
  4. SheWolfSilver

Trellum Well-Known Member

I have never planted something for my Bob, I must admit that I am a bit afraid that if I do that he will start nibbling all my plants! Now I am happy because he couldn't care less about my plants! So I am actually happy he is like that now, not going to risk it. So I just get him some greens from the market from time to time, but never present them in a pot.

Trellum, Mar 28, 2015
  5. SheWolfSilver

doglvr Member

What kind of greens do you buy? How often do you feed him the greens? This sounds better than small pots of grass.

doglvr, Apr 23, 2015
  6. SheWolfSilver

Trellum Well-Known Member

Your cats like to eat grass? I've heard some cats like to munch on grass, but not so often. Maybe you could grow some grass in your garden? That would be cheaper and more practical in the long run... something like a 100% organic open salad bar ;)

Trellum, Apr 24, 2015
Ask a Question