Do your cats show special interest in T.V. or music?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by CinnamonKiss, Jan 6, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Have you caught your cat watching T.V. with you or reacting to music? Did they react to a certain show, noise, sound, or voice?
    We've caught a few of our cats watching T.V. before. Three of our cats when I was little didn't watch T.V. but Dusty and Sassy have.
    Sassy watches sports. We have a loveseat with a chair arm where she can sit on, it's really close to the T.V. and so she watches sometimes.
    Dusty reacts more to a series. I was watching The Walking Dead (Netflix, hurray!;) ) about a month ago and Dusty was with me, sleeping on my legs. Something funny happened so I said to Dusty, "Did you see that, Dusty?" and chuckled and he whipped his head around to look at the T.V., like he knew what I was talking about. He looked for a good 30 seconds before putting his head back down to sleep. I figure a sound made him look, not me actually asking him, but I was tickled to death at how adorable it was.:p He sometimes reacts to soundtrack music. I was watching a Japanese drama on my desktop computer with him in my lap and when the music for a scene at the end started he tried to get closer to the screen. I paused the show and started recorded him with my camera. On watching playback he was focused with rapt attention and his eyes were moving with the characters.:eek:
    Have any cute or funny stories about your cats watching T.V.? Share them with us please, I love stories and especially cute cat ones! :D

CinnamonKiss, Jan 6, 2013
  2. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Nope! Neither of our cats has ever really cared about what's on a TV (or a computer screen even). I could be wrong, but I remember trying to get our older one to watch stuff on a screen and it's as though she doesn't even see it most times.

Jessi, Jan 7, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

Yeah, that's how my mom's cat and two others were. They had zero interest. Awwww, you tried to see if she's watch? That's sweet, too bad she didn't take to it. I always wonder if cats think we're weird for our activities and hobbies. :p

CinnamonKiss, Jan 8, 2013
  4. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Dorian loved Reese's commercials! He wouldn't watch any sort of television otherwise, but he seemed mesmerized the moment one came up on screen and wouldn't look away until it ended. Sibyl will stare at the television now sometimes, but I'm not sure if she's interested in what's happening or if she just happens to be looking at the television. Alice doesn't even do that, she prefers to pretend the tv doesn't exist!

blurinoctober, Jan 8, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  5. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

If I mime along to music, they get very confused! Pussinton for some reason loves the wii, the noises on the wii menu get her all excited and she starts jumping up to the screen!

Scottyxx, Jan 8, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!!

Is it only a specific Reese's commercial or is it all of them? Maybe they all play a certain music or Dorian likes the color of the candies? How bizarre!

Jessi, Jan 8, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

Awww! That's adorable! Maybe the music intrigued him?:eek: You should watch Sibyl's face and see if her eyes are moving or if she's spacing out at it, then you'll know if she has any interest! I can usually tell if Sassy just happens to be turning her head slow or if she's actually watching if she keeps her head turned that way and her eyes look focused.:)

Poor cats, us and our weir habits. :p That's cute, she loves video games!! Dusty will get closer to the computer screen if he sees the mouse move, maybe it has something to do with the movement. Anything that moves, they just really want to catch it!

CinnamonKiss, Jan 9, 2013
  8. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

It's the commercials with the orange backgrounds and the close-up of the candy, I believe. I think it was a mixture to what the screen was doing and the music. It caused a weird, distracting effect. It happened every, single time a commercial with that basis came on, no matter if they were slightly different or not.

blurinoctober, Jan 9, 2013
  9. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Wow, that's interesting.

If it's the closeups and music, then maybe it had a "tripping" sort of effect, if that makes sense. Maybe it's just so mesmerizing.

Jessi, Jan 9, 2013
    blurinoctober likes this.
  10. CinnamonKiss

Trellum Well-Known Member

Bob couldn't care less about TV, but Frida sometimes stares at the TV when I am watching. She is specially excited when she sees other dogs, lol, specially when they are barking or wagging their tails. Must be a reflex or something.

Trellum, Apr 14, 2015
Ask a Question