Do Your Cats Get Along?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by CatFour, May 13, 2013.

1. CatFour

CatFour Active Member

If you have more than one cat, do they get along? We've got four and they all get along pretty good. The three older ones do and then there's kitten. The oldest cat doesn't hardly like any of the other cats, but she tolerates them. When kitten came along, the older cat did not like that one bit and would hiss at her every chance she got. However, kitten is a scrappy sort and gives it right back to her. I think kitten likes to irritate her on purpose. Both of those two are girls and the other two are boys. Go figure!

CatFour, May 13, 2013
  2. CatFour

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

When we first brought Alice home as a little kitten, Sibyl hated her. She would hiss and run away every time she came near and absolutely held a grudge against us for bringing her into the house! Now? They love each other. Sibyl cleans Alice all of the time and they sleep together almost every night. I think they just had to adjust to each other, is all.

blurinoctober, May 18, 2013
  3. CatFour

steph84 Well-Known Member

My two younger cats get along, but my older cat does not like to be bothered by the two kitties. He hates that they always want to play and run around. He just wants to be a lazy, fat cat.

steph84, May 20, 2013
  4. CatFour

Lilly&May Member

I have four cats with very different personalities and they are all older and did not grow up together. They seem to have a love hate relationship. They will eat together and lay next to each other on my bed and the couch. But then they box and fight in the hallway, my male will even hide around the corner to ambush the others. Yet they all hang out on the porch together every morning and try to catch crickets ... they are all weird! hahaha

Lilly&May, May 28, 2013
  5. CatFour

jules Active Member

I have a cat and he's 4 years old. Back when he was still a small kitten, he would disturb my uncle's much older cat and bother the other cat so much it kept running away, even jumping onto the counter to avoid him. However,now as he is older, I guess he is getting mellow and gets along well with my neighbor's cat which was surprising for me since he never showed any intention of ever getting along with a cat ever.

jules, May 29, 2013
  6. CatFour

Trellum Well-Known Member

Right now I only have one cat, but I'm pretty glad I only have one, because I know from experience that introducing a new cat to anther cat can be risky business. At best they hiss and ignore each other at first, but if things goes wrong.... they will end up fighting nearly to death! Yikes!

Trellum, Apr 5, 2015
  7. CatFour

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

They tolerate each other! Our younger one Eddie would like to play more with our older one Herman, but alas, this can turn into a tricky situation! At first, we had to keep the two separated, so thankful now, they can be left alone in the same room. As long as, Eddie gives Herman her space!

I wish we would have gotten these two together at the same time. I think they would be more playful with each other! But, at the same time, I am appreciate both of their personalities!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 13, 2015
  8. CatFour

Oh so Herman is older than Eddie? :eek: How appropriate (because the name Herman made me think of an older cat since the beginning!). It's always hard when you introduce a younger cat to a senior, I will wait for Bob to die before I get another cat. If I ever get another one when he dies.

Trellum, Apr 13, 2015
  9. CatFour

I understand how you feel about adding another cat into the household. Older cats seem to get set in their ways. We found this out the hard way. I think Herman resented us for the first few months and became a little depressed. We tried to give her extra attention, but she had a hard time understanding, why she was no longer the center or attention and now had to share the spot light!
    Truthfully, as much as, we all love Eddie, if I had known it was going to be this hard on Herman, I would have waited, too. Oh well, live and learn! But, let us not talk about your Bob no longer being with you!

Oh :p, yes, Herman does sound like an old name! Well, she is getting to be an old lady now!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 14, 2015
  10. CatFour

Hehehe, i see cats as little narcissists, lol. I think my Bob is ;) He loves being the center of attention, he'd surely hate me if I suddenly showed up with a kitten, I'm sure. So no wonder Herman had that reaction, she was the one and only ;) Glad the things turned out very well for you tho :) Now your girls get along very well, but are they friends? Just curious! I've seen cats being great friends, but all of them grew up together. Wondering if true friendship can happen after certain point in a cat's life...

Trellum, Apr 15, 2015
  11. CatFour

I think they are "secret" friends. I mean Eddie tries all the time, but Herman has this like one foot rule or a boundary line. But I think Herman would miss Eddie, if she was not around.

Our other cats use to sleep curled up into a ball right next to each other. We fully expected Herman to allow Eddie to do this. But I guess, her mother instincts did not kick in. We thought it was quite sad!

Herman&Eddie, Apr 15, 2015
  12. CatFour

Oh, I see! It sounds like they tolerate each other quite well :) It's understandable Herman likes to have boundaries, I have noticed the oldest cat is like that most of the time, while the youngest and most energetic one is always trying, hehehe! Did Herman ever had her own kitties? Was she spayed before her first heat cycle?

Trellum, Apr 16, 2015
  13. CatFour

MER Well-Known Member

How long did it take for your cat to stop holding a grudge against you? I brought home a male rescue kitten to our 1 yr old female rescue. The female is totally disgusted with me. She swats, growls, and nips at me. We use to play all the time and now she doesn't want anything to do with me. Going on 2 weeks now. The female growls at the male and takes swats too but I think they're coming along ok. I'm more concerned about me and cat relationship!

MER, Aug 27, 2015
  14. CatFour

Eaow Well-Known Member

I only have one cat but when the neighbors' cat comes to visit they get along very well. Cutie paws is really nice and will win over anyone with that look on her face. Sweaty nose too.

Eaow, Sep 2, 2015
  15. CatFour

MER Well-Known Member

That's nice until you get an aggressive cat coming over. :eek:

MER, Sep 2, 2015
  16. CatFour

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

For the most part my two cats get along just fine. They do on occasion fight but it is most just play fighting. They don't hurt each other or any thing. They would be lost without each other.

Susan Brown, Dec 17, 2015
  17. CatFour

p885 Member

If they grow up together they usually get along fine. If they are older a lot of the males do not get along but the female s usually do.

p885, Dec 18, 2015
Ask a Question