Do you trip over your cats?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by CatFour, May 5, 2013.

1. CatFour

CatFour Active Member

When I am getting dressed to leave the house, one of my cats does figure eights in and out between my feet and I can't walk for him. I usually have to pick him up and carry him so I can walk. I guess he knows I am leaving.

I will trip over a cat once in awhile too if they are running and get between my feet and I don't see them in time. I've stepped on the tail of one a few times, accidentally of course. He has a huge fluffy tail and If he is sitting in the floor and I step over and get on his tail, he moves and there will be a tuft of hair on the floor. I don't actually step the the tail part, just the hair.

CatFour, May 5, 2013
  2. CatFour

mariposa Well-Known Member

I've accidentally kicked our cat when she runs in front of my feet when I'm walking. That is the most horrible feeling knowing that I've done that... but it never seems to bother her. I'm glad that it doesn't happen often.

I've done the tail thing, too... I go to step over her and every single time, she moves the tail to exactly where I'll be stepping down again. I remember to watch for that luckily, but that tail flopping can be so fast!

mariposa, May 5, 2013
  3. CatFour

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Of course it happens sometimes! Cats are tricky animals by nature, plus a lot of them like to play with feet. It's natural that they trip you up sometimes, if they cared so much, I don't think they would keep doing it.

I would be concerned if your cat seems hurt, but if not? There's not much you can do if your cat is determined to weave through your feet. They obviously don't mind if you occasionally trip on them!

blurinoctober, May 30, 2013
  4. CatFour

jose26425 Member

My cats trip me on a daily basis. They try to run underneath my feet, especially when I feed them. Sometimes, I will accidentally step on their tails, kick them, etc. Even though this is not my fault at all, I somehow always feel bad and try to coax them from underneath the bed (as if I'm guilty of something). Just watch them after this happens. If they are mad or hurt, they will make it known. If it turns out they are mad, don't worry, they'll love you once the next feeding time comes around!

jose26425, Jun 15, 2013
  5. CatFour

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I've tripped on my current and past cats, but I really trip on my small, yappy dog a lot because he hides under furniture during thunderstorms and is fascinated with feet.
    Luckily, I gave up wearing high heels years ago or both me and the dog could get hurt.

ACSAPA, Jun 15, 2013
  6. CatFour

Lilly&May Member

Has anyone accidentally squished your cat when sleeping? lol Because my cats will snuggle up in the folds of the comforters or lay on my pillows in the middle of the night and i will roll over and squish them :[ They always forgive me but I still feel bad every time. I always worry that one day neither of us will wake up to realize Im squishing them and that I will suffocate them ... but they keep coming back.

Lilly&May, Jun 17, 2013
  7. CatFour

TheBrit Member

It seems to be a cats vocation in life to try and trip up their owners.

I live in an apartment and have two ferals, one of which is pretty much domesticated prefering to spend most of it's time in the apartment or on the balcony.

Whenever it senses I am on the move it will initially look up before spending most of the time watching my feet move. We all know cats are very well balanced and will literally land on their feet but maybe there is a more scientific reason they do this.

Next time you walk across a room, not with it's food bowl in hand, and your cat is looking your way look to see where it's eyes are focussed, pound to a penny it will be watching your feet move.

TheBrit, Sep 2, 2013
  8. CatFour

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Pussington is ridiculous, she needs attention 24/7 when you are walking up and down the stairs thats when she decides to run in front of you, flop over, belly up, and just lay there until you trip on her. Bandit likes to hide under the bed, and then swipe at your ankle and try and pull you over whenever you walk past.

Mine are really bad at running under your feet, in fact I totally stood on Pussingtons little foot a few days ago, she actually screamed like a little child. It was so sad, I felt terrible!

Scottyxx, Sep 3, 2013
  9. CatFour

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat and dog have both tripped me in the past. My dog sometime hides under my daughter's chair and when I walk up to her, he'll nip at my feet from under the chair and trip me, or he sometimes clings to my leg when I'm walking away and trips me that way.

ACSAPA, Sep 14, 2013
  10. CatFour

steph84 Well-Known Member

I do and I feel so bad whenever they dart in front of me and I can't stop myself from doing so! My new thing is to slide my feet at night because I'm afraid of stepping on them in the dark. They started sleeping in weird places so I have to shuffle about.

steph84, Sep 14, 2013
  11. CatFour

Trellum Well-Known Member

It has happened to me way too many times, my cat also loves doing figure eights in and out between my feet... really dangerous!!! Specially when I'm in a huge rush and I need to leave home soon! When this happens I really feel worried I might fall on the cat and hurt him really bad, but I know the chances for that to happen are really slim :) Because cats can react and move really fast. I just hope I can do the same next time I trip over my cat!

Trellum, Sep 28, 2013
  12. CatFour

MER Well-Known Member

Gemma knows when it's bed time and if Rosco isn't keeping her pre-occupied, Gemma will hide under the bed and attack my feet as I crawl in bed. She's mean too because her ears are laid back and she wants to play on her terms. Rosco, (so cute), will either treat my feet like a scratching post (luckily with socks on), or bite my feet and get his little legs going a 100 mph kicking my feet.

MER, Sep 9, 2015
  13. CatFour

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My cats are always under my feet when I am trying to get ready for work in the morning.
    I am constantly tripping over them.

Lilly&May my cat, Merle, likes to crawl under the covers and sleep. I can't tell you how
    many times I have rolled on him or sat on him, not realizing he was there. I am so scared
    that I am going to suffocate him but he keeps doing it. He is always crawling under clothes
    and jackets. You have to be careful on to walk on him.

Susan Brown, Sep 10, 2015
  14. CatFour

MER Well-Known Member

When Gemma was a baby, she would crawl all the way to the foot of the bed undercover to sleep. I was worried she would suffacate being that far undercover. I figure as long as my feet were there to create a tent for her, she'd get air. Crazy cat. Now that it's been warmer, she likes to sleep at the end of the bed where the ceiling fan can blow on her.

MER, Sep 10, 2015
    Becky likes this.
  15. CatFour

Becky Well-Known Member

Aw, that's adorable! Must have been a nice way to keep your feet warm :)

Becky, Sep 12, 2015
  16. CatFour

MER Well-Known Member

Yeah, both Gemma and Rosco are hot little furnaces on paws!

MER, Sep 14, 2015
Ask a Question