Do you treat your pet cats as family when they're sick?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I'm asking this question, because, my cat Tinker has diabetes, and I'm spending money on trying to get him straightened out. We've had him for 14 years, and he's family to us all. He's been our best friend through it all. He needs insulin, and I buy Blues cat food now, trying to build his health back up. He now has to take insulin, but seems to be getting better. I feel I must try to help him get better, but I know some people say that they're just animals, but I say they're family. I wouldn't want someone to give up on me. What does everyone here think about this question? If the vet tells me he has a fighting chance, then, I want to give them that chance. Would you fight for them?

Jenny Heart, Apr 26, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

If you've had an animal for 14 years, they're definitely family. I wouldn't necessarily spend thousands on a brain tumor surgery that might not work or would leave them disabled, etc, but that'd be more about causing them to suffer and not being able to tell if they're even in pain or unhappy. I would buy insulin like you are, though. They won't live forever, but I'd like them to love comfortably until then.

Jessi, Apr 26, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, I would. Without hesitation. For me, my pets are more precious to me than most people that I have met. For one thing, I know that my pets wouldn't be scheming how to stab me in the back.

Victor Leigh, Apr 26, 2012
    Jenny Heart likes this.
  4. Jenny Heart

magickat Well-Known Member

Oh absolutely, my cats are like children really, I have to take care of them, sick or not! They all have such unique personalities they are not just animals to me.

magickat, Apr 26, 2012
    Jenny Heart likes this.
  5. Jenny Heart

Thank you everyone! I feel like all of you/ My cats are as family. Please pray for my cat Tinker. He has diabetes, and just started taking insulin. We must get him regulated in order to get him back to himself. He's been our best friend, and he needs our prayers. He's dong better, but tends to get sleepier after his insulin shot.

Jenny Heart, Apr 26, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

I, too, hope for the best for Tinker. I am going to repeat what I have said somewhere else before. Whatever you do, do not ever ever consider putting Tinker to sleep.

Victor Leigh, Apr 27, 2012
  7. Jenny Heart

magickat Well-Known Member

I hope Tinker gets better soon. I expect once his system is regulated by the insulin he may get back to his old self.

magickat, Apr 27, 2012
  8. Jenny Heart

Tinker has started playing more than he was before, but he tends to have trouble walking at times. He's doing better than he was, so I'm happy about that. Thank you everyone for your thoughts on this topic. Tinker is old, but we love his as family. He's been a friend, and helped us when ever we were lonely or sick, now, it's our turn to give back to him. Say a prayer for him please!

Jenny Heart, Apr 27, 2012
  9. Jenny Heart

I hope so,too, but I would not raise my hopes too high. I have seen people suffering from diabetes and they only get worse over time. The insulin only slows down the deterioration of their health.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  10. Jenny Heart

Mentalia Member

I have my cat for almost 12 years now and got him as a kitten. He is family to all of us. Not long ago he hurt his back paw and was limping around and we made everything possible to comfort him and to help him with his pain. He got extra goodies and because he could not jump anywhere we picked him up and helped him down from wherever he wanted to go. We worry about our cat the same as we worry about family members.

Mentalia, May 2, 2012
  11. Jenny Heart

RealDMat Well-Known Member

Absolutely. My cats are my other children. If you find it's expensive to afford some of the meds, you can try starting a GoFundMe account, and ask people to help by donating small amounts of money here and there. I've done this to sort of help myself out with feeding the local strays around here. No one would if I didn't...LOL. ;p

RealDMat, Oct 25, 2015
  12. Jenny Heart

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I definitely would and I have! When I have pets they are my family. They have a forever home and when they are sick they get treated just the same as other family members would be. If there is a chance at all that they can be helped then I am willing to take that chance. A few years back I had a cat who was 16. He got sick and I spend over $5000 trying to save him. I didn't everything that I could possibly do for him but in the end he didn't make it. I felt better though knowing that I never gave up on him. It was worth every dollar I spent and it gave me peace of mind.

Susan Brown, Oct 27, 2015
    RealDMat likes this.
  13. Jenny Heart

p885 Member

I think you are a wonderful person for doing everything you can for your pet. When we have them for a long time they are like our own kids. Bless you

p885, Nov 20, 2015
    RealDMat likes this.
  14. Jenny Heart

RealDMat Well-Known Member

Thank you. :)

RealDMat, Nov 22, 2015
Ask a Question