Do you think that my cat needs a playmate?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by catlover2, Sep 17, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Princess is my only cat. I am gone from about 8 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon 5 days a week for work and then most weekends I am busy with friends. I wonder if I should get her a cat to keep her company? What do you think?

catlover2, Sep 17, 2010
  2. catlover2

diann3tes Member

That's a good idea. It will make your cat happy but it is pretty normal that you cat feels afraid or mad at the start when you brought a new cat. But they will get along later on.

diann3tes, Jan 3, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  3. catlover2

furred_up New Member

It's a good idea if you are out for prolonged periods. I initially was only going to have one cat, 'Peanut' that is her pictured, but ended up taking her brother 'Dudley' as well as I am away for stretches of time. It makes me feel a bit better to know they are together, but of course cats can be different like people and it could be your cat is quite content on her own.

furred_up, Dec 6, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  4. catlover2

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I think it is a good idea, I always feel quilty on Mondays and Tuesdays when I work from 7am to 10pm knowing that Trinity, due to not yet having the vets ok to be near the others, is by herself in my room, while the rest of the tribe is together in the livingroom, my 15 year old does spend some time with her when he gets home and feeds her but I am pretty sure he is paying more attention to the TV or video games than he is Trinity.

Micheleteresa, Dec 7, 2011
  5. catlover2

Becky Well-Known Member

I think it's a good idea! Cats seem to like company, although I agree it might take a while for your first cat to get used to a new addition.

Becky, Dec 7, 2011
  6. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

It's not easy to get a playmate for your cat. Cats are like people. Some of them get on like a house on fire. Others are like oil and water. How old is Princess? From my experience, the older they are, the more difficult it is for them to accept another cat in the house. I think it's something to do with territorial rights.

Victor Leigh, Dec 7, 2011
  7. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I definitely think your cat would love a playmate. She probably won't like the other cat at first, but they will soon get to know and love each other. Since she is female, there isn't as much of a chance as major behavioral changes (males tend to get dominant when you move another cat in). Cats keep each other entertained pretty much all day, so your cat will probably be much happier in the long run. :)

Belligerent, Dec 8, 2011
  8. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

If you do get a new cat to be a playmate for your present cat, you need to make some effort to get them used to each other. The resident cat is likely to become jealous. So you must never scold it when it hisses at the new cat. My cats usually take about three days before they start playing together.

Victor Leigh, Dec 14, 2011
  9. catlover2

doublelady Active Member

I couldn't imagine my cats being separated, but I also spend most of my day with them. I have definitely met cats that preferred to live alone though. Does your cat seem lonely or starved for attention?

doublelady, Dec 23, 2011
  10. catlover2

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I have always had more than one cat and they get along very well. Sometimes cats don't match, but if you take some time and effort most of the time it does work out. They have some territoriality issues at first when they might hish and growl at each other, but this often sounds worse than it is. After a while most cats will like each others company, play, eat and sleep together. I work and my boyfriend works as well and it makes me feel better to know they aren't home alone but have each others company.

Yolanda, Dec 24, 2011
  11. catlover2

amy005 Well-Known Member

It may be good to get your cat a play mate. But often cats seem to be pretty independent creatures so he may not mind it as much as you think as long as you still feed him and keep him company when you are at the house. If you think your cat seems lonely you should probably get him a play mate but it will take time for him to get use to each other like others have said.. he will probably be territorial at first and the cats will hate each other.

amy005, Dec 28, 2011
  12. catlover2

Alli Well-Known Member

I think it is good for cats to have a playmate if you are often gone- they can get bored otherwise! You might try getting a young kitten- my older boy took to my girl kitten very well and I think the fact she was a baby helped a lot.

Alli, Dec 31, 2011
  13. catlover2

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

Cats are not pack animals like dogs...but I decided on a companion for Romeo 2 years ago when he seemed espcially miffed at me for leaving for a short vacation. My neighbor came in daily but he was really put out. Since I have 2 now, they are fine....they did not get along for the first week or so, I posted about it somewhere else...had to separate them and introduce gradually, but best buddies now.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 27, 2012
  14. catlover2

MER Well-Known Member

In the big scheme of things, I would get your cat a playmate. By nature, they are inclined to be independent. After having Gemma for nearly a year, there'd be days when I thought if they ever think of what purpose do I (the cat) serve. Laying around all day being lazy or playing with whoever is home, or self entertainment. Kind of made feel sorry for her since she's an indoor only cat. When Rosco came around, same thing with him. He's indoor and full of energy. Gemma is maybe a year old now and not so energetic as Rosco but they do keep each other company. In some cases more so than desired.

If you do end up getting a second cat, do your homework and learn what's recommended to introduce cat2 to cat1. My cat1 still has major jelousy issues with me and cat2 and that could be a whole other thread.

MER, Oct 1, 2015
  15. catlover2

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

It is nice for them to have somebody to hang out with but sometimes it is hard to get the perfect mate.
    Not all cats like each other. Cats are very territorial and they aren't fond of all of a sudden having to
    share their spare with somebody else and they do get jealous. Good luck! :)

Susan Brown, Oct 16, 2015
  16. catlover2

MER Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh do they ever get jealous. Gemma, the resident cat continues to be very upset with me. We've had Rosco for about 2 months and Gemma still gives me attitude. I can't really pick her up anymore and give her any cuddles without her becoming all fussy, hissing, and growling at me. She's actually come quite nasty about with me. Rosco on the other hand is all purs and affection.

MER, Oct 16, 2015
  17. catlover2

My cat Harley changed his attitude too when I brought Merle home. It has been almost two years now and he is finally getting back to the way he was before Merle came to live with us. He is still jealous though and well Merle he couldn't care at all.

Susan Brown, Oct 18, 2015
  18. catlover2

CherylTorrie Member

I have avoided getting a second cat because I truly believe that Marley is like me, kind of solitary and quiet. Some cats do enjoy having a playmate but I just don't think she would. She doesn't even enjoy human company. Does your cat like to play? Then maybe it would work for you. Does your cat have any sharing issues that are definite red flags for adding another? Then probably not. Though we feel that our cats may be lonely, I think they are the best judge of their needs. Perhaps you could test it out by borrowing a friends cat for a few days?

CherylTorrie, Nov 8, 2015
  19. catlover2

So did you decide to get another cat? If so how is Princess adjusting to it?

Susan Brown, Nov 8, 2015
Ask a Question