Do You Make Your Own Cat Toys Or Store Buy Them?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by blurinoctober, Dec 7, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Do you throw together random elements to make a fun toy for your cat or do you run to the store and buy toys that take less effort?

Personally I'll make simple toys, like feathers on stings/sticks that Sibyl enjoys so much, but I'll buy certain things like balls with bells that Alice likes. It just depends on the toy!

blurinoctober, Dec 7, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Dollerama cat toys, that's what my babies love!

Scottyxx, Dec 7, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  3. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

Technically, neither for the most part. I don't hand craft anything special, but I'll keep aside things that I know they'll love playing with or will randomly use an object nearby to play with them. If I buy toys, my cat will rarely even glance in their general direction, so it's a waste of time and money to try.

Jessi, Dec 7, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

That's why I don't bother buying big toys! I've gotten a few more expensive toys as gifts for my cats and they'll jump on them once, then ignore. Same thing goes for cat beds. They'd much rather sleep on your blanket.

blurinoctober, Dec 8, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

tajnz Well-Known Member

I've always brought cat toys. Although I also gave my cat some of my small soft toys as a child. :eek: I must of really loved my cat he he. ;) My mum is really creative and has tried her hand at creating her own cat toys though! Perhaps it's something I should try. :D It would actually be fun to try and design the perfect toy for my cat. Something that moves, is interactive and makes noise.

tajnz, Dec 23, 2012
  6. blurinoctober

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I do the same as Jessi and hold on to found objects that my cat will play with.
    There's no point in buying a special toy from a cat catalog when my cat finds a cardboard box fascinating for hours and hours.
    This Christmas was an exception because I saw a cat tunnel shaped like a big Santa hat that the cat climbs into and I couldn't resist buying it for Delores and taking pictures.

ACSAPA, Dec 23, 2012
  7. blurinoctober

Ohmygosh, that sounds really cute! I should scout pet stores after Christmas to see if I can find anything similar. It'd be really cute and Alice would love to play with it!

blurinoctober, Dec 24, 2012
  8. blurinoctober

GeeTee Member

Both... Like kids, cats so often enjoy playing with random, made up things rather than store bought stuff. Imagine the cat sitting on a sheet of newspaper and you trying to pull it from under him turning into a full fledged chasing gaming all because he decided you're not going to have it. Sometimes the most queer things make the greatest toy. Hilarious!

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  9. blurinoctober

ProNine Member

I usually buy the toys. As much as I'd like to put some time into making toys for my little kitten, it's just too much work. As such, I resort to buying them cheap whenever I can find them. Also, as @GeeTee mentioned, you don't have to specifically buy toys in order for them to play, sometimes, you just have to actually invent a game and it will be just as engaged.

ProNine, Jul 8, 2016
  10. blurinoctober

casey84 Active Member

I do both. If I have the time I've sewed little bits and pieces together for our cat, like toy mice and things like that. But time doesn't seem to stretch as far as it once did, and oftentimes I find myself just buying store bought toys for the sake of convenience.

casey84, Jul 15, 2016
  11. blurinoctober

Novelangel Active Member

I do both when I have the time. I make the simple toys, such as furry catnip balls, but the more complicated stuff, like tiny mice, I buy for her. She doesn't like toys that run around on a track, or that require a little thought. (My girl is smart, but lazy, in some ways, I guess. LOL ) She likes toys she can pounce on, bite, toss around and dominate. As a kitten, she used to pummel a teddy bear into submission on a regular basis. That poor bear took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. She seldom even glances at it today, but I keep it around anyway, just in case. The simplest toys that I 'make', are bird feathers that I find lying on the ground, take inside and wash. I just throw them on the floor and watch her attack them like crazy.

Novelangel, Jul 15, 2016
  12. blurinoctober

MarshCat Member

I like to buy toys and make them! One of my favorite cat toys to make is a little catnip pouch. I sew a small square of fabric into a pillow, basically, and stuff it with dried catnip. I have also made a few crochet fish and mice that had cat nip inside them before.

Admittedly, sometimes my cat (and my sister's cats who also live in this house) prefer random objects like toilet paper tubes, twisty-ties from bread bags, etc. :)

MarshCat, Jul 15, 2016
  13. blurinoctober

cluckeyo Active Member

I have bought several toys over the years and they are not interested. The big hits where the empty, crunchy disposable grocery bag and a wadded up piece of paper! Those they loved!!

cluckeyo, Jul 21, 2016
    MarshCat likes this.
  14. blurinoctober

AnnaBanana Member

Each time I've bought a toy at the store, my cats have never given it any attention. I can put an old box on the floor and they will play with it for months. I think it is adorable, and I can remember a few times when my children behaved the exact same way.

AnnaBanana, Jul 21, 2016
    MarshCat likes this.
  15. blurinoctober

MarshCat Member

Oh yes, the wadded up piece of paper! Mine love a good Wal-Mart receipt scrunched up really tightly into a nice round ball. sometimes I toss it in the air for them, or put it on the floor and flick it with my thumb and finger so that it zooms across the hardwood floors. They practically ice skate after it at top speed! :)

MarshCat, Jul 21, 2016
    cluckeyo likes this.
Ask a Question