Do You Let Your Cat On The Couch?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Aug 8, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, I've no problems with my cat getting on the couch :) My Bob is welcome to lie down wherever he wants. Animal hair is something that is expected to be seen on furniture when you own a cat or a dog. No big deal to me :) Plus it'd be really rude not to let him get on the couch! My cat is almost human and would get really offended if I did that, seriously. Last time I pushed him away he left and let the neighbor's kids pet him :D

Trellum, Dec 31, 2013
    LilAnn likes this.
  2. dashboardc33

muning Member

Yes, because our cats do whatever they want. They sleep on the couch when we are not looking, so why bother forbidding them to do so? We have already accepted the fact that cats can sometimes want to own the furniture by sleeping, playing, and even peeing on the furniture. Our solution was to change the furniture from upholstered to hardwood and wicker. Now they still sleep on the couch; but with minimal worries from our end.

muning, Oct 21, 2014
  3. dashboardc33

Anne Well-Known Member

My cat was allowed to go almost anywhere when he was alive. I am probably embarrassed to say what I allowed. He had me completely bewitched as they say. He was spoiled rotten and I loved it. I don't believe I am saying this because I am normally strict to some extent with humans. I think because I found him so funny I just allowed a lot of things to get out of hand. The sink in the picture was a favorite spot for him.

The couch was not even one of the things I felt I needed to correct. He was always welcomed there. In his short life, he lived like a king.

Anne, Dec 2, 2014
  4. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Kitty kiss goes where he wants when he wants. Being his pet, I try not to get in the way.

LilAnn, Jun 5, 2015
  5. dashboardc33

Hahahaha, I liked the way you put it. Sometimes I do feel like I am Bob's pet, like he does really think I am the pet and he is the owner, lol. I think it'd be something like this:

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
  6. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

That is so perfect!! If ever there was an undeniable truth, that's it! Lol

LilAnn, Jun 22, 2015
  7. dashboardc33

Lol, I know right? I couldn't have said it better myself ;) But we still love them no matter what, it's like having the best of two worlds, you know? Makes you appreciate certain things more :cool:

Trellum, Jun 23, 2015
  8. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

It really is. i have never NOT had a cat in my life. i feel more at ease with them around. And every once in a while theyll throw you a bone and let you pet them. Believe it or not, the reason my husband likes cats is because of that attitude.

LilAnn, Jun 24, 2015
  9. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

That's cold! I bet you won't be making that mistake again a time soon.

LilAnn, Jun 24, 2015
  10. dashboardc33

Lol, it's a funny story. We were in the garden, I was working with some pots, I guess he got a bit jealous the pots had my undivided attention. Then he started to rub himself against the pots right in front of me (lol, cats!) he was meowing, like saying: ''Hey, I am here! I am your king! you haven't paid attention to me in 5 full minutes! worship me, now!''. I just ignored him, lol. I needed to transplant those kalanchoes.

SOOOOOOO, he got mad apparently. He left without a word, head straigh to a group of kids who were playing with the neighbor's kids. Didn't see him again after 6 months (one of the kids took him home), he came back skinny and in a bit pain months later. And that is the story of how he became an indoorsy cat :D:eek:o_O:rolleyes::cool:

Trellum, Jun 24, 2015
  11. dashboardc33

Lol, so he likes pets with an attitude? Hehehe, I must admit I kinda like that about cats, but mine is super needy, lol. He likes to be pet all the time. If his petting needs are not met he completely ignores me when I talk to him, lol. I think I have a super narcissistic cat.

Trellum, Jun 24, 2015
  12. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Oh my god! That poor kitty, I'm so glad he came home, though. It's amazing how well a cats memory works. People want to talk about the size of an animals brain, but I can promise my memory isn't nearly as good!
    Kitty Kiss likes hislap time, but is pretty independent most of the time. When he wants to come in the house she won't use the doggy door. He comes up to the screen and meows. But when I open the door he stands there, looking up at me, and waits for me to bend down and pick him up. He spa zee when the dogs get too close, which makes the dogs think "chase the kitty" is a really fun game! Other than that, he is really isn't very needy.

LilAnn, Jun 25, 2015
  13. dashboardc33

He never felt like doing that again, I bet! To be honest I thought he was lost forever.

You are sooo lucky! Bob must think he is a king of something! He loves to be pet, but resting on my lap has never been one of his fav activities. He just likes to be noticed as soon as I come into a room and he is there and viscevesa, lol. It's like he likes to be acknowledged everytime he comes into a room, that is why I call him ''my little diva king''.

Trellum, Jun 26, 2015
  14. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Little diva king! Love it!! Kitty kiss is really particular about where he wants to be and what he wants. He always gets his way. He is so spoiled but he can't bother with us, the pets.

LilAnn, Jun 26, 2015
  15. dashboardc33

Thanks :p I think that name describes him perfectly, because he does behave like a diva, but also like a king :p I think most cats are narcisissitic and manipulative ;) But we love them the way they are :D

Trellum, Jun 26, 2015
  16. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

no doubt! I wouldn't like Kitty Kiss quite so much if he wasn't so proud of himself. He makes me feel like I did something so right when he, metaphorically, pats me on the back and calls me "good girl".

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  17. dashboardc33

Hehehehe, I like some zest :p I mean, it's great we can have the besrt of two worlds: cats and dogs. I like the sweetness and complete loyalty of dogs, but also love that itchy *itchy attitude cats can show most of the time, lol. Adorable!

Trellum, Jun 28, 2015
  18. dashboardc33

LilAnn Well-Known Member

The best of two worlds is right! I wouldn't feel right if I only had one...dogs OR cats.

LilAnn, Jun 30, 2015
  19. dashboardc33

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Yes my cats are allowed on the couch and pretty much wherever they want to go except the kitchen counters, stove and the dinner table. Having cat hair around is all a part of having a cat. That is what lent brushes are for.

Susan Brown, Jul 6, 2015
Ask a Question