Do You Let Your Cat On The Couch?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Aug 8, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Active Member

My question is, do you let your cat on the couch? Some people wouldn't let their cat on the couch because they don't want hair on it or they don't want to have to pick up all the hair. Some people would let their cat on the couch because they just don't care if cat hair gets on their couch or because they want their cat next to them if they are watching a movie.

dashboardc33, Aug 8, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

I let my kitten go on the couch however it's because she has short hair and she doesn't shed much. If she did shed a lot of I would prefer her not be on the couch. I don't mind if she goes in the couch to lay down or to cuddle my boyfriend or I when we are watching TV, though I do not let her play on the couch.

BeautifulAngel, Aug 9, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

blackcapped Active Member

Yes, we let our cats on the couches. My household is very lenient in that matter though. One of the biggest problems we had was actually with their hair showing on dark hardwood floors in one of my past apartments.

blackcapped, Aug 9, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

steph84 Well-Known Member

I let my cats on my couch because it is their home too. I just don't let them on countertops or the table. Anywhere where we eat is just unsanitary, but they are welcome to lounge and relax on the sofa and recliners.

steph84, Aug 10, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

Absolutely. If my excuse for saying no was hair, it would be a moot point. The hair gets everywhere no matter what, lol. It doesn't matter if I try to keep them off things, the hair will get there anyway, ya know?

Jessi, Aug 10, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Beth23 Well-Known Member

The only place I try to deter them from going is on the kitchen table. I think of hair on the couch as just part of owning a cat. Once or twice a week I use one of those fabric sweepers they sell in the supermarket on the furniture. I think pledge makes it. It works wonderfully.

Beth

Beth23, Aug 12, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

nikki Well-Known Member

I try not to but they wont have it. They are like bad children who do exactly what you said not to the moment you turn your back. I cant blame them! A cool leather couch has got to feel good on a hot day.

nikki, Aug 14, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I do not understand this 'let your cat (insert where/do/have) here' phrase. Since when do cats ever do anything other than whatever THEY want to do? I would find it very odd being in a house where cats aren't allowed to sit on sofas and chairs, or beds. Cats are lovely snuggling companions, and snuggling is meant for sofas, chairs and beds.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 15, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

Jessi Well-Known Member

True. At the same time, they can be trained to stay off the table and counters, so... I guess if someone puts in the effort to keep them off certain other pieces of furniture, it might work.

Jessi, Aug 16, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  10. dashboardc33

footballtim Well-Known Member

We would love to have our cats on the couch, but neither of our cats are couch potatoes. They will lay almost anywhere but the couch. The few times we have gotten them to lay on the couch, they only stayed there for fifteen or twenty minutes.

footballtim, Aug 22, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

JustJenne Active Member

I consider my cats part of the family, so yes they can go on the couch. They usually don't just lay on the couch though, they'd rather have a chair, something smaller that surrounds them. I love having them lay or sit with me while I watch TV. I really just like having a cuddle buddy around. They are not allowed on counters or tables though. My cats are pretty smart and are great about obeying "the rules."

JustJenne, Sep 1, 2012
  12. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

For some reason our cats don't like sitting on the couches. They both prefer to sit on our kitchen chairs or up on a dresser. They must like having the whole thing to themselves or something. We don't mind really, since we don't have to deal with fur on our furniture as a result.

OhioTom76, Oct 18, 2012
  13. dashboardc33

andrew320 Well-Known Member

Of course! Wherever we go, they go. When we're relaxing on the sofa then the two guys surround us (one on the coffee table in front of us and then the other sitting on the top of the sofa. When we're in bed then one will come and lie with us and the other will just sit on the ground and watch us. Even if we sit in the washroom or kitchen together they will come hang with us.

andrew320, Oct 20, 2012
  14. dashboardc33

jules Active Member

I would prefer for my cat to not be on my couch but when does a cat ever listen? It doesn't just like to be on the couch, it usually rests itself on the backrest of the couch and since its quite heavy, the cushion on the back has started sinking. I don't really mind it but some guests of mine avoid that couch like the plague.

jules, Jun 1, 2013
  15. dashboardc33

catface New Member

Of course I do. They're part of the family and they are welcome anywhere (and force themselves into whereever they're not welcome anyway, like the bathroom when I'm in it). Cat hair is a part of having cats, so I don't mind if the couch gets covered in fur. I just wish they wouldn't claw holes in it.

The only place I deter the cats from walking on is the stove, because that's unsanitary and dangerous.

catface, Jun 14, 2013
  16. dashboardc33

jose26425 Member

I have two cats and don't particularly treat them special in any way. I love them and all, but they receive no special treatment. That being said, they are always allowed on the couch. We all know cats don't follow any rules that they deem unnecessary. Cats do what they want and go where they want. Period.

jose26425, Jun 15, 2013
  17. dashboardc33

mariposa Well-Known Member

One of our cat's favorite snoozing spots is on the couch, yes. She's allowed there because she's a part of the family.

Now that I'm thinking of it, she seems to have built-in radar about the places she's not supposed to be. We've never had a problem with her wanting to be on the kitchen counter, stove top, etc. The only times she got up onto the table was when she was younger and I had fresh flowers as a centerpiece. I caught her trying to smell them a few times but she hasn't done that for years now. :)

mariposa, Jun 19, 2013
  18. dashboardc33

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Both my cat and small dog are allowed on the furniture.
    It's nice to have a cute little animal sitting on your lap while you watch a movie.

ACSAPA, Jun 21, 2013
  19. dashboardc33

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Yes! My cats sleep on my bed, on the couch, on the table, wherever they want. They're just not allowed around when I'm cooking or eating food. I may be used to their hair, but I don't want to eat it!

I find it odd when people don't allow their indoor pets on the couch, to be perfectly honest.

blurinoctober, Jul 7, 2013
  20. dashboardc33

amy005 Well-Known Member

I let my cat go on the couch. I think if people don't want their pets on the couch they probably shouldn't have pets. It's pretty much impossible to keep an animal off the couch at all times. If you are not there they may end up on the furniture anyway. I think the best thing you can do is get some sort of protective couch cover if you don't want them getting hair all over the furniture.

amy005, Dec 3, 2013
Ask a Question