Do You Keep Your Cats Off the Counter?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Trellum, May 15, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

By Kristen Seymour

[​IMG]

As the self-appointed rulers of households everywhere, cats lay claim to all parts of their home (or kingdom). But do they belong on the kitchen counter? We wanted to know how our readers felt and whether veterinarians felt the same. We polled cat owners and veterinary professionals[i], and the results may surprise you.

When asked if their cats were allowed access to the counter, 21 percent of veterinary professionals who responded answered "yes," 13 percent answered "rarely" and 54.5 percent answered "no." ("Other" was also an option, claiming 11.4 percent of veterinary professional votes.)

Our readers were more likely than veterinary professionals to allow their cats on the counter: 28 percent answered affirmatively, 11 percent said rarely and 48.1 percent said no, with the remaining readers opting for "other." So, while veterinary professionals are less likely to allow their cats on the kitchen counter as a habit, they’re actually more likely to allow their cats up there on occasion.

More...

Trellum, May 15, 2014
  2. Trellum

Jessi Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

I don't think they should be allowed on the counters at all. Even if I clean them regularly, I still don't want their hair, dust balls, and kitty littered feet on my counters.

They run wild in the majority of the house otherwise....they can leave my counters alone! ;)

Jessi, May 28, 2014
  3. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hehehe! Good job! I don't like them on my kitchen table either. It terrorizes me that my in laws allow their cat to sit and walk over the kitchen table! The cat runs wild all over the neighborhood the whole day, that can't be hygienic at all. Not judging or anything, but yikes! No way my mom would let that happen.

Trellum, May 29, 2014
Ask a Question