Do You Have a Diabetic Cat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mariposa, May 14, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

If you have a diabetic cat, are you giving insulin shots? And if so, how often? Does it seem to be helping, and are you using grain-free food at the same time to try for a remission? (or whatever the correct term is for diabetes)

We do the insulin shots twice a day and we're using the grain-free dry food the vet recommended and wet food that I found myself. It really does seem to be making a difference and I'm so glad for that!

mariposa, May 14, 2013
  2. mariposa

Lilly&May Member

Were there any signs that your cat was diabetic or did you find out from the routine blood work done by the vet on yearly checkups?

Lilly&May, May 28, 2013
  3. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

There were signs, yes... the first sign was the excessive drinking when she'd never been that much of a water drinker before. And then because of that, there were more trips to the litterbox as well.

We were first told that there was a urinary infection and possibly diabetes, so we gave the antibiotics and it seemed to help for a while... but when it started again, the tests were done for diabetes.

mariposa, Jun 6, 2013
  4. mariposa

Trellum Well-Known Member

Luckily I don't have a diabetic cat :) It would be so tough for us both... I mean, my Bob would go crazy if I had to giove him insuline shots daily! I'd probably need to use one of those police suits they use when there is some sort of demonstration and they need to face the people, lol.

I did know cats could be diabetic tho, but I never had the slightest idea of how that could happen!

Trellum, Dec 5, 2013
Ask a Question