Do you feed your cats table scraps?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by catlover2, Oct 14, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Does anyone feed their cat table scraps? I do. I know people are probably gasping right now, but my four cats love them. Plus they are farm cats and stay only outside. I am picky about what I give them. They will eat chicken and beef. I never give them pork products though!

catlover2, Oct 14, 2010
  2. catlover2

dkramer New Member

I have tried to share food with my cat but she won't have anything to do with it, not even canned tuna or chicken. She's so picky. I've even, accidentally, left food on the coffee table and she'll sniff it and walk away. She also won't eat the dog's food (but the dog will eat hers). We usually buy her Science Diet but once in a while, when money is tight, I'll buy her something from the grocery store and she doesn't mind eating it. She's 12 years old so maybe she's just set in her ways.

dkramer, Dec 8, 2011
  3. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

My cat will not eat any table scraps except for tuna & sardines, or else I would. I know it's probably not the best habit, but as long as the food they are eating is fresh, not salty, etc. it is healthier for them than dry cat foods. They do tend to get pretty spoiled like this, so they may start begging.. another reason why a lot of people will not feed their cats food scraps.

Belligerent, Dec 8, 2011
  4. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

Yes I do share table scraps with my cats and they love it! If there is room around the table they will often sit on the chairs and wait for us to finish eating, which is very cute. Sunday is their favourite day as we have a roast dinner and they got lots of lovely bits of chicken etc. I don't see any harm in it as long as it is only a treat and they do not get obese etc.

magickat, Dec 15, 2011
  5. catlover2

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Yes I do sometimes, if it is chicken, turkey or something like that. My one cat loves loves noodles. I know it really is not good for them, but they beg me!

Wahcashmom, Dec 18, 2011
  6. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, not me. I always make sure that my cats do not sit around the dinner table when I am eating. And also when I am not eating. The dinner table is totally out of bounds for my cats.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  7. catlover2

Alli Well-Known Member

I used to give them both occasional treats of table scraps, but the boy has crystals in the urine so he can only eat his prescription food now. Sometimes the girl still gets a treat, but only when the boy isnt around so he doesnt feel left out.

Alli, Dec 19, 2011
  8. catlover2

Crystals? Is there anything that can be done to prevent it? I have seen some toms, especially, suffering from this problem. They have to be taken to the vet now and then to be irrigated, so to say.

Victor Leigh, Dec 20, 2011
  9. catlover2

amy005 Well-Known Member

I have also tried but he does not like to eat most human food. The only thing he will eat is tuna and milk so I used to share a bit of milk with him from my cereal bowl. He also likes turkey.. but I do not share that with him.

amy005, Dec 21, 2011
  10. catlover2

I did try to share my chocolate milk with Green Seven. No deal. He just sniffs at it and goes away.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2011
  11. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

I feed my cat chicken, fish and sometimes steak if he isn't begging. I just don't do it too often because then he tries to jump up and swipe things off of the table. It's hilarious when you just see his little face pop up and he is trying to reach of food, but it is so annoying when I have guests over. I try to teach him manners and give him scraps in his bowl so he doesn't jump on us.

steph84, Feb 1, 2012
  12. catlover2

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Bella will eat ANY kind of seafood, tuna, shrimp, she don't care as long as it is seafood. I do occasionally give her tuna or something because I know she enjoys it so much but it's not an every day occurrence. The boys won't touch anything but their cat food and their snacks.

SheWolfSilver, Feb 1, 2012
  13. catlover2

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I do sometimes, but I mind not to give them foods that are fatty or which I know aren't good for them. Also, if they are begging I don't give them anything. Even my blind kitty knows he has to be patient in order to get something. But most of the time they get their meals right after we got ours, so we eat at pretty much the same time. This leaves them full and content so they hardly ever come around when we are eating. The few times they do, I sometimes give them a treat.

Yolanda, Feb 8, 2012
  14. catlover2

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

Whenever i'm eating rice or chicken, both my cat's come running up to me and keep trying to nudge me over. I think it's not really good for them and I'm afraid that I might them sick .

Mocha&Latte, Jan 26, 2014
  15. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

My bob isn't picky at all when it comes to food, so he will eat whatever I decide to give him. My in laws in the other hand... he only eats salmon, beef, whipped cream and dry food. That's all that picky boy eats. I tell you that cat is super soiled! He won't eat anything else. Such a diva.

Trellum, Feb 28, 2014
  16. catlover2

Mocha&Latte Well-Known Member

Whipped cream? Wow, that cat is SPOILED! It's probably living the cat dream right now.

Mocha&Latte, Mar 1, 2014
    Trellum likes this.
  17. catlover2

Trellum Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah! Tell me about it! He actually has whipped cream as a dessert after they have dinner. The cat usually has salmon for dinner, but the dry food is always available to him :p I think he is living my dream, lol. He has eaten more salmon in one week than I have eaten in my entire life (3 times only!). So yeah, that kitty eats way better than I do :p

Trellum, Mar 4, 2014
Ask a Question