Do you feed your cats cheap food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by catlover2, Sep 16, 2010.

1. catlover2

Belligerent Well-Known Member

I buy Iams which isn't really cheap.. it's on the higher end, but not as much as Science Diet food or others. She seems to love Iams and I hear it's bad to change your cat's food, so I keep buying it for her.

Belligerent, Jan 5, 2012
  2. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I just found a great source of food that my cats love. I go to my friends's restaurant and ask for the unfinished fish that his customers left behind. Free and tasty. For my cats, I mean.

Victor Leigh, Jan 7, 2012
  3. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

That's a great source Victor Leigh. The cats must love that fish and they are getting some great nutrients for healthy coats as well! I'm sure your cats go wild when it's feeding time. I try to buy my cats nutritious food above and beyond anything else. I check the ingredients and make sure they aren't just being pumped up with corn.

steph84, Jan 12, 2012
  4. catlover2

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

Mine like Fancy Feast Dry the best,and Friskies brands the second best. They like a variety to pick from, so always trying other brands too and found they like Iams, Meow Mix but do NOT like cheap stuff.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 24, 2012
  5. catlover2

Afishy1 Member

I feed my cat Science Diet also. It is a very high quality food and not very expensive. I would recommend it to anyone looking for food options for their cat. Of course there are a lot of good foods, the most important things with food is that you stay consistent with the food you are feeding. Switching brands frequently can be hard on the cats digestive tract. Changing flavors is fine. If changing foods you should always offer the old and new food mixed as you switch, no switching cold turkey.

Afishy1, Mar 21, 2012
  6. catlover2

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

My cats get Iams food. Bella has hers mixed with canned the boys will only eat it dry.

SheWolfSilver, Mar 22, 2012
  7. catlover2

The only downside to getting such treats for my cats is having to ask for the left-overs and dealing with the looks of people who thought that I was going to eat it myself. Anyway, I don't really care. If my cats are happy, I am happy.

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2012
  8. catlover2

btatro Well-Known Member

My cat will only eat the cheap food. The first bag of food we ever bought her was the cheapest we could find, Alley Cat. Later we tried buying her different dry brands (and also wet brands), but she turned her nose and would not eat. Back to Alley Cat and she ate like a champion.

btatro, Apr 1, 2012
  9. catlover2

Interesting that the company would market it with such a brand like Alley Cat. Not exactly inspiring, isn't it? I wonder if the cat food manufacturers do what some watch manufacturers do. Like market a premium brand and an economy brand. Anyone knows?

Victor Leigh, Apr 2, 2012
  10. catlover2

btatro Well-Known Member

I agree! Based on the name, it does not sound like an appealing thing to feed your cat. It suggests uncleanliness, homeless, and stray. It would be interesting to see is this is a sub-brand of another company.

btatro, Apr 3, 2012
  11. catlover2

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I hope this doesn't disappear like my first comment. One of my cats has diabeties, and the vet started him on Science diet, and then to Prescription RV. I found out that Science Diet has by products in it. I combine the Prescription diet with the brand Buffalo. Now, his diabeties is improving. I personally think it is because some of his food is from the Buffalo brand.. The prescription Diet brand has by products in it as well. I heard from someone that the more expensive brands that have by products in then are better than the store bought ones. I get confused about all the talk about by products in their food. Our vet told me that the science diet, and the Prescription Diet are better to use. Think about researching these 2 brands, and then make the choice that is best for your cat.

Jenny Heart, Apr 3, 2012
  12. catlover2

Ella Bella Member

In short, no I don't feed her any cheap food. The foster previously fed my cat premium brands so I will continue feeding her higher quality foods. I do give her some Temptations Free Range Chicken treats from time to time but I'm very conscious of what I feed her. Currently I am feeding her Innova dry food and Natural Balance wet food. I have also given her Avoderm wet food in the 3 oz. can but she doesn't seem to like that brand all that much.

Victor, have you heard about cats developing crystals in their urine when you feed them fish or seafood? That's what someone told me while I was shopping in a pet store. I did some research and there were sources I came across online claiming the same thing and how grains in the food are bad for the cat as well. Just some food for thought.

Ella Bella, Apr 10, 2012
  13. catlover2

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Well Victor, it's very kind of you to take in a pregnant cat. Most people wouldn't want to deal with the kittens. God bless you for being generous enough to take in a mother cat. I hope it works out great.

ACSAPA, Jul 25, 2012
    Victor Leigh likes this.
  14. catlover2

Jessi Well-Known Member

I buy middle of the road priced food. I don't buy the cheapest because it makes the older one sick. I used to buy Science Diet, but it doesn't seem worth the cost any more and still makes her sick, so we've switched down to ones that don't.

Jessi, Jul 25, 2012
  15. catlover2

Thank you for your kind words. Actually I am a softie for preggies. I have even taken in girls who are in their eighth month of pregnancy. Yes, I am talking about human girls. So taking in a pregnant cat is quite a natural thing for me to do.

As for the crystals forming in the urine of the cats, I am not too sure about the origins of the problem. What I do know is that most of the cats I take home are actually strays so they are very used to eating all kinds of food.

Victor Leigh, Jul 25, 2012
  16. catlover2

footballtim Well-Known Member

I give my cats Meow Mix Pate. I was having a tough time getting my bengal to eat until I discovered this good stuff. The problem is that my older cat who is on Purina Vet diet food for her kidney disease always tries to steal the bengal's pate. Now I feed them in separate rooms.

footballtim, Aug 22, 2012
  17. catlover2

andrew320 Well-Known Member

My fiancee has been feeding her cats Iams for years and it seems to be doing them well because they went to the Vet and they were declared in perfect health. Iams isn't cheap that's for sure - I should know because I always go with my fiancee to buy the food. If it was the same price, she would buy the little guys the natural food (only wet natural food because it's cheaper).

andrew320, Aug 27, 2012
  18. catlover2

Cats where I live are taught to eat rice. Actually they have been fed rice for generations so I suppose they are already used to it. It saves a lot of money.

Victor Leigh, Aug 31, 2012
  19. catlover2

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I feed mine Applaws dry food. It's 80% chicken, and is one of the best dry foods out there. I haven't fed a cat wet food for years, they do better on good quality dry food. Cheaper ones are filled with carbs and cereals, all of which are bad for cats.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 2, 2012
  20. catlover2

footballtim Well-Known Member

My cats will not eat cheap food, wet or dry. If I tried to feed it to them, they would look up at me and wonder what planet I came from. I guess I have really spoiled my darlings in that area too. That is OK, they deserve to be spoiled.

footballtim, Sep 7, 2012
Ask a Question