Do you ever serve your cat warmed up food?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by cocolgooh, Mar 31, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgooh Member

I was reading the packet of some cat food at the store the other day and I noticed it said to put the food into the microwave for 30 seconds before feeding for their maximum enjoyment. I would never have thought to heat up cat food! Is this something anyone has ever done before? Did your cat enjoy it more if so?

cocolgooh, Mar 31, 2016
  2. cocolgooh

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have tried this in the past and the cats wouldn't eat it. They just turned up their little noses and walked away. They prefer their food at room temperature. They don't like it cold and they don't like it warmed.

Susan Brown, Apr 7, 2016
    cocolgooh likes this.
  3. cocolgooh

Trellum Well-Known Member

I never serve the store bought cat food warm, but my cat does eat warm snacks from time to time. Mostly tuna and fish bits, as well as chicken liver bits cooked in some nice butter. He goes crazy for that. But this is a good idea :) I might warm his food next time (I but individual packets) and see if he likes it more.

Trellum, Apr 13, 2016
    cocolgooh likes this.
  4. cocolgooh

cluckeyo Active Member

I warm it in the winter time and he gobble's it up. Same for my dog. It's bound to taste better. Actually, he doesn't much like wet food in the hot weather months anyway. But in the winter, he will eat it warmed.

cluckeyo, May 29, 2016
  5. cocolgooh

Anne Well-Known Member

I can't say it is something I consciously did when Twinkle was alive. I imagine if I had warmed something for myself perhaps he got some but I honestly have no recollection of actually warming something for him to eat.

Anne, May 30, 2016
  6. cocolgooh

Valerie Active Member

My cats have always been picky. Some like their food cold, some like it room temperature, and others preferred it warmed up. I think it depends mainly on the weather. In the summer, refrigerated wet food goes quicker than the dry food. In the winter, I'll sometimes serve up some warmed chicken broth after they've been outside (sound like children, don't they?). But making a routine out of warming food? Not so much. Usually its just room temperature.

Valerie, May 30, 2016
  7. cocolgooh

MER Well-Known Member

The only time I maybe warmed up their food was because I tried serving them dehydrated food that you had to mix with water. It was made by "Honest Kitchen" and no joke, you can actually see real ingredients in the food. Rosco ate it right away (but then again he eats anything), and Gemma gradually started eating it. We went back to dry for the both of them in the end.

MER, Jun 7, 2016
Ask a Question