Do you bath your cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Nov 25, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

How often do you clean your cat or does it clean itself. Do you also disinfect it for flees and other pest.

kat74, Nov 25, 2011
  2. kat74

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

How often do I bathe my cat? Never. Cats clean themselves. ;) Fleas might require some intervention. Check out products from FrontLine or consult with your vet. Flea collars are a terrible idea from what I've read, so they're probably best avoided.

MaxKitteh, Nov 28, 2011
  3. kat74

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat needs constant maintenance! I spend more money on his fur than my own hair! He is a long haired cat and so I have to brush him every day or he will get tons of matting or hair balls. He is an indoor/outdoor cat so his white fur gets dirty often and I have to take him to the groomers every 3 months or so. He loves it and they always tell me that he is well behaved (he makes me so proud!). I'll post a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. That hair is all over my house if I don't brush him regularly. I bathed him once and I'll never do it again. He fought me and climbed on my back. I don't know what the groomer was talking about.

Attached Files:

steph84, Nov 28, 2011
  4. kat74

Alli Well-Known Member

Haha...I only bathe my little girl cat when I want to donate lots of blood to the carpet and surrounding area. My boy kitty is more docile, but he really only needs baths if he gets fleas that other remedies don't control well enough.

Alli, Nov 28, 2011
    magickat likes this.
  5. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

I don't bathe my cats, they would go crazy!! They keep themselves very clean and although they are always very interested when I run a bath for myself, I don't think they would like to get in it!

magickat, Nov 28, 2011
  6. kat74

christy sharpton Active Member

I give my cats flea collars to wear and I buy the wipes to clean them with that you do not have to get wet.

christy sharpton, Nov 29, 2011
  7. kat74

sammilynn Member

I get the treatments at the first vet visits to take care of any fleas and things, and he keeps himself extremely clean, so I don't bath him really, if he got into something then I would, but other than that, he takes care of it himself. :)

sammilynn, Nov 29, 2011
  8. kat74

nicola Active Member

We've not bathed Sophie yet.
    She's getting better at cleaning herself.

nicola, Mar 24, 2012
  9. kat74

Jessi Well-Known Member

No. Cats take care of their own cleaning just fine and there's no reason to clean them except in extreme cases.

For example, one of my cats got tangled up a fly trap at one point. We bathed her for fear of her trying to clean it herself and ingesting all that fly glue stuff...which could've made her really, really sick.

At another point, my long haired cat got fleas really bad and we simply couldn't get them under control, so we did give her a bath to clean up all the dead fleas and remove any possible flea eggs and whatnot. I don't normally recommend flea dips, but again, this was an extreme case (she'd licked herself raw and was losing patches of hair from the scabbing, etc).

Jessi, Mar 24, 2012
  10. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Only my Persians are bathed regularly. Something like once a week. The others I only bath if they come in all dirty and stinking.

Victor Leigh, Mar 25, 2012
  11. kat74

christina Active Member

I have bathe my cats in the past. I came out of the bathroom with scratches. I don't give them baths anymore. They stay pretty clean since they are constantly cleaning them self. As far as for fleas, I buy them flea collars. They seem to work just fine.

christina, Mar 27, 2012
  12. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Flea collars? I have heard of them but never tried them. How do they work? Do they really work?

Victor Leigh, Mar 27, 2012
  13. kat74

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My husband was the one to always give our cats a bath. All the cats didn't like it, but we always felt better knowing they were completely clean. Then, we always put the flea gels on them as well. Cleans cats always make cat owners feel better about the safety of both the home and for the pet cat in general.

Jenny Heart, Apr 3, 2012
  14. kat74

Jessi Well-Known Member

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Basically they're coated in a repellent so that fleas are less likely to be attracted to the animal. If they don't have fleas, then it's nice for prevention, but it doesn't do much to actively get rid of current ones.

Jessi, Apr 3, 2012
  15. kat74

btatro Well-Known Member

Nope, have never bathed my cat. We call my cat OCD because she always seems to be cleaning herself. At the slightest speck of dirt she will lick for hours! If my cat were to get fleas, then of course I would bathe as necessary/ recommended to resolve the issue.

btatro, Apr 8, 2012
  16. kat74

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

My husband used to give them a bath periodically. They never liked it, but one cat disliked it more than the other ones. One of our cats bit my husband at the time, due to the fact he was getting scared. Then, my husband never planned on giving that cat of ours a bath again. Cats are like babies when it comes to them taking their baths for the first time. Our pet cats should get lots of reassurance during times like this. Start out giving your cats a bath at a young age, then, maybe they'll accept it better.

Jenny Heart, Apr 8, 2012
Ask a Question