Do Cats need Hormone Replacement?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I am still a relatively new cat owner although I now have five cats. Anyway, one of my cats, Pepper was spade back in September. At one time Pepper had been part of a feral community that came to our home for food. She had gone through three heat cycles and two pregnancies. In fact, that's where are other four cats came from, she had two surviving female cats and two surviving male cats.

Anyway, since being spade Pepper has had her moments where she has come across as if she is irritable. She hisses at her kittens, she won't come near us when she is usually quite loving to us. Now her two female kittens Squiggy and Peppy were also spade before her, but neither of them ever went through a heat cycle or a pregnancy. Pepper did, and this has left my family to wonder if maybe Pepper is going through some sort of hormone imbalance, as silly as that may seem. Anyway, a I said before I am still relatively new to being a cat owner, because we took Pepper and her kittens in during the summer, so I don't know much about whether a mature female cat will have this happen to them if they are spade later in their life. Can any of my fellow cat owners help me with this issue? Thank you in advance for any advice.

pafjlh, Dec 15, 2014
  2. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

Actually this is normal for a cat who already went thru heat cycles as well as a couple of pregnancies, this is why it's recommended to do this when they're still young. Give her sometime to get used to this, she eventually will, but might take a while.

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
Ask a Question