Do cats have souls?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by catlover2, Oct 14, 2010.

1. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Please give me your thoughts on this. Do cats have souls? Some people say no they do not but I disagree. THey have to have souls in order to love and it is apparent that my cats love me to pieces. So yes they do have souls.

catlover2, Oct 14, 2010
  2. catlover2

catlover2 Well-Known Member

Yes they do have souls. It makes me mad when people say that they do not have souls. They love me just as much as I love them. If they did not they would not purr when I petted them or meow at me when I walk into the door or jump on top of me in bed at night.

catlover2, Oct 14, 2010
  3. catlover2

donika_hell New Member

Yes I think that they have souls, too. According to me it's not possible a living creature to be souless

donika_hell, Jan 18, 2011
  4. catlover2

christy sharpton Active Member

I totally agree, cats do have souls and without them they would not be able to show love to us per owners.

christy sharpton, Nov 21, 2011
  5. catlover2

amy005 Well-Known Member

I believe most living creatures have souls as well so yes cats do have to have souls. They are very affectionate creatures and just want to be loved.

amy005, Nov 22, 2011
  6. catlover2

I agree with you. My cats love getting attention and they will bug you sometimes until you give it to them.

christy sharpton, Nov 23, 2011
  7. catlover2

magickat Well-Known Member

I firmly believe that cats have souls. They are very spiritual creatures. They are also extremely intelligent and each one has such a unique personality that it is unthinkable to me that they would not have souls, particularly as they can make such a strong connection with people.

magickat, Nov 23, 2011
  8. catlover2

I sometimes think my cats can see ghosts. There will be times where they are meowing at something and really staring at it hard and there is nothing there. Do you guys have cats that do that too?

christy sharpton, Nov 23, 2011
  9. catlover2

Becky Well-Known Member

Nope, but when I was younger we lived in a very old cottage for a while and I was convinced that I kept seeing the ghost of a cat!! Strange...

Becky, Nov 24, 2011
  10. catlover2

kat74 Active Member

Any living thing has a soul otherwise how would we and the other animals and mammals express feeling. When you get hurt or when your cat gets hurt, he/she cries and makes a lot of painful noise. When you are playing with your cat, she plays joyfully and happily. That goes to show you that cats have a souls and are capable of feeling just like you.

kat74, Nov 24, 2011
  11. catlover2

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

I think a better question is, does a 'soul' exist? I don't believe they do, but I am an atheist so I don't even believe gods exist. Our precious kitties do exist, and that's all we need to know to keep them happy and healthy I think. Knowing their time is limited on this Earth makes their time with us all the more precious. In fact, all life is precious when one considers its temporary nature.

MaxKitteh, Nov 27, 2011
  12. catlover2

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I believe that my cats will all be in heaven on day. I always thought if God wanted them to be in the garden of Eden, then, he wanted them in heaven on day. I'm not sure how I believe in them having souls, but do believe God will have our pets in heaven for us in my opinion.

Jenny Heart, Apr 28, 2012
  13. catlover2

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Well, this assumes a god exists, and the god you think exists actually exists. In Christianity alone there are some 38,000 variants. Then there's Judaism and Islam and a host of other religions, including some which believe in reincarnation.

But, I don't believe there are any such gods, so the idea of a soul is in my view a meaningless concept, but more importantly, no claim such as a 'soul' can even be rationally-defined, let alone proven to exist. The mind is essentially you, or your kitty. If your kitty sustained brain damage, it would cease to be the kitty you know today...and it may even forget who you are depending on the damage.

Either way, life is precious. We love mammals because we are mammals, and we relate to other mammals quite easily. We see the exuberant joy of a dog, the purring contentment of a cat who seeks our affection, we have maternal/paternal feelings for young mammals of any sort, etc. Cats have been domesticated over thousands of years, and in a sense we've bred them to be as they are, just like dogs have all come from the grey wolf and we've bred the most submissive specimens to become dogs as we know them today. Even silver foxes have been domesticated in a Russian experiment, and less-wild animals are easier to love because they love us back without trying to eat us for lunch. I love lions, but I know I can't go roll around in a cage with one without taking a risk.

Anyway, I digress. The soul of a cat is really just its human-loving brain. Personality is a mitigating factor here too...some cats prefer women over men or vice versa, some are friendlier than others, some like to be pet and some not so much, etc. Not only do cats not have a soul, as obligate carnivores the food we feed them don't have souls either, and neither do humans, but that makes them no less deserving of our gratitude, love, admiration, etc.

MaxKitteh, Apr 29, 2012
  14. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I really do believe that cats have souls and we will meet all of them again in heaven. If we get to heaven. The cats, I am very sure, will get to heaven before we do.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  15. catlover2

steph84 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your point of view Max. I don't think my cat has a soul, but that doens't mean I love my pets any less. I think they are magnificent creatures and love them to bits.

steph84, Apr 30, 2012
  16. catlover2

Mystique Well-Known Member

I believe they do have souls, as I do believe that they have feelings. I find it interesting whenever they react to a particular thing/situation. Sighs, cats are just lovable creatures.

Mystique, May 2, 2012
  17. catlover2

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Agreed. If only they don't think they own us, they would be even more lovable.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  18. catlover2

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I definitely think cats have souls and feelings. Cats are capable of caring about their owners and each other. I'm sure that my one-eyed cat Tricky that I used to have is in heaven now. Tricky was an awesome cat and had an aura of pure love and sweetness. He had more personality than some people I know.
    There is no way that little guy didn't have a soul.

ACSAPA, Aug 22, 2012
  19. catlover2

footballtim Well-Known Member

I believe your cat has a soul. Just look into it's eyes when you touch him/her. There are so many things a cat does that cows, pigs, and pigeons do not do that indicates the presence of a soul in a cat. Because you love your cats so much, put yourself in their place and try to see if there would be anything more your cat could do to prove to you that it has a soul. I know one thing.....when I see those ASPCA commercials with Sarah McLachlan singing 'Angel', I cannot stop crying.

footballtim, Aug 24, 2012
  20. catlover2

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I know , those ASPCA commercials with the abused and neglected animals are heartbreaking.They're almost as hard to watch as those Animal Cops shows on Animal Planet where they rescue abused animals and arrest the owners.

My username is my initials and my daughter's initials, but it just hit me that it looks like an anagram for ASPCA.

ACSAPA, Aug 25, 2012
Ask a Question