Do cats have rabies?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by erik, Mar 25, 2015.

1. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Do cats have rabies? Is it possible to get infected from scratch and bites? I've been thinking about it because I get minor scratches and playful bites from my cat whenever I play with her...

erik, Mar 25, 2015
  2. erik

Trellum Well-Known Member

As far as I know, yes, cats can get rabies. I was told that anything that is as big as a raccoon can be a really good source of rabies if exposed to wild animals that often carry rabies (like for example raccoons, squirrels and bats). Don't worry, I was told by a epidemiologist that rats don't live long enough to infect others with rabies, I had to see her because I had a minor incident with a rat some years ago.

She said small mammals die fast when they get rabies, but big mammals like cats and racoons can live long enough, but don't worry! In most countries rabies vaccines are free! Most of the time during summer or spring they start offering them, I think it's worth checking that out. Just in case.

Trellum, Mar 25, 2015
  3. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Well that's good to know. I've always had the misconception that rabies is something that some animals are born with. So unless I actually see my cat exhibiting signs and symptoms of rabies, I guess I have nothing to worry about since my cat usually stays at home.

erik, Mar 26, 2015
  4. erik

Trellum Well-Known Member

Yeah, don't worry :) Cats are very smart, smart enough to avoid dangerous animals. That is why they rarely get rabbies. So don't worry, but if you can... Get your cat vaccinated. Just to be 100% sure.

Trellum, Mar 27, 2015
Ask a Question