Do cats allow you to spray them with flea spray?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Active Member

I am considering buying some. I have a $2 off coupon for a good brand. But I'm wondering if I will even be able to get the spray on him evenly. Will he bolt? How do cats usually react to flea sprays?

cluckeyo, Jul 1, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

Valerie Active Member

I had a cat that absolutely loved the cooling sensation of the product I used. He'd calm right down and let me brush him down. Other cats might bolt if the spray hits them randomly. Until they get used to it, I recommend spraying the product into a cloth or paper towel and wiping down your cat that way. Sometimes the smell also freaks them out.

Valerie, Jul 1, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

casey84 Active Member

I think it really depends on the cat and their own personal temperament!

I've had cats before that were pretty chill with any sort of flea treatment or ointment they may have needed - but my current cat would flip out unless he was super sleepy if we tried to spray him with anything or put any ointment on him!

Hard to say for sure until you test it out!

casey84, Jul 1, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

GeeTee Member

Depends on the nature of the cat. Mine gives me quite a fight to bathe him or to powder him with flea powder. When his bath time comes around I have to get help. At least two of us have to get the job done, and man it's not easy. I have never tried the spray, but know at the first sound of hissing he'd be gone like a bullet if he's not held firmly. He had a wound and I used to have to spray it at times. It wasn't easy at all.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

ProNine Member

I would try relaxing your cat first by petting it where it likes the most. Then, go for areas that are further away from it's face or paws. They have to realize that what you're using isn't harmless before the let you continue doing anything with it. After the first spray, pet a bit more, and do it once again. That should do the trick.

ProNine, Jul 8, 2016
Ask a Question