Do Black Cats get Adopted?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Dec 18, 2014.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Its something I am curious about. You see one of Pepper's kittens was black. We named the cat Salem, after the cat in the Sabrina the Teenage Witch series. Anyway, at one time we considered giving Salem and Petey who were from Pepper's second litter away. After all a whole lot of money was spent to spade Pepper and her two daughters, Squiggy and Peppy. Not to mention a whole lot of dealing with issues after the spade took place.

However, we have since discovered that both Petey and Salem are boys. Which means that we don't need to give them away because they won't go into heat. Although, they could go looking for female cats in heat once their mature to a year old, so we will have to consider having them neutered.

Anyway, I was relieved to discover that Salem was a boy. Why because I have read online that shelters have a hard time with black cats being adopted. I guess its the stigma of the black cat. You know the old superstition that a black cat is bad luck. Which is really silly, Salem is a such a sweet little cat, and he is beautiful as well. I can't see how anyone would see this sweet little cat as bad luck or any black cat for that matter.

pafjlh, Dec 18, 2014
  2. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

I am the first to say I have always had this weird fear of black cats. I am trying very hard to overcome it. To your question about black cats being adopted. The answer is "YES" and I found an interesting story of a black cats with "FANGS" having some difficulties finding a home initially. In time he found a home.

Just to look at him gave me a little chill, but overtime I grew to appreciate the cat. I am sure it's because the story was online:). Recently I saw some black strays in my area. I was proud of myself for not freaking out. It was quite a joy to see them up close and nearly personal:).

Anne, Dec 20, 2014
  3. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Yes, I will admit out loud myself that growing up I had an issue with black cats as well. Its funny how we allow superstitions to get the better of us. When I grew up I still wasn't sure if I liked black cats that much, and never really gave it much thought. My father hated cats so we never had any around my home. Anyway, after his death my sister and I started feeding strays. One stray came into our yard that was a black cat. I found that I wasn't afraid of the cat and instantly started liking it. We fed this cat for awhile but didn't take it in, after awhile we never saw this cat again. I don't know if the cat died because of the extreme heat we living in Phoenix, Arizona. Anyway, as I said above I now have a black cat that we name Salem, and I love this cat as I do all of Pepper's kittens.

pafjlh, Dec 20, 2014
  4. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Anne, Dec 20, 2014
  5. pafjlh

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

I must be the black sheep here. I just LOVE black cats. I have had black cats ever since I started having cats. My first three cats were black and were related to each other. My favorite cat, the BEST cat ever, Ben Jamin, "Benny" was my writing partner for 13 years. He must have been my muse, because when he died, I stopped writing poetry. I will always rescue black cats from kill shelters and off the streets (our Sasha is the latest) to honor my wonderful Benny. I miss him so much. Please don't let superstitions get in the way of loving them. They are the BEST by far.

Kay Dougall, Dec 24, 2014
  6. pafjlh

Anne Well-Known Member

The "black sheep" loves the "black cats":). Who knows? Maybe I will get there soon. I actually sat and watched in delight (sort of) as these beautiful black seeming strays walked to and fro in search of something to eat. I even offered them some of my food. It was the first time ever I was so close to a black cat that I can remember. My son tried with some success to get them to stay with us a while but they were cautious.

My son who always get me to do the impossible was convinced they were quality cats. I hope to go see if they are really strays. I am in no way superstitious. I am thinking it's the scary movies as a child that left me "haunted".

Anne, Dec 25, 2014
Ask a Question