Diabetes a risk for young, over-weight cats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CinnamonKiss, Feb 21, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

I know Dusty is a bit of a chub, and I'm hoping he'll slim down some when spring comes. He and Sassy always gain a few pounds during winter. He's gotten a cookie pouch/gut this winter which is not his typical. Anyway, to what the title talks about, diabetes in young cats! I wasn't aware that feline diabetes is even a thing so I thought I would share some information and also the article!

I'm a poor cat owner because I wasn't even aware. :eek: One of our previous furry babies, Mac, was pretty fat. He had a flabby tummy when he did finally lose some weight.
    You can find some interesting information about resistance to treatment and glucose at the source. They also state that prevention is better than intervention but that's hard for people who work all day and let's be honest, if you have a cat who cries and pesters you when they're hungry it's nearly impossible to adjust to a feed schedule diet. We have dry food and water available for ours 24/7 and Dusty will aggravate for his moist food well before time to feed. I guess you would have to start them as a kitten to make everything less stressful.

Source: PawNation

CinnamonKiss, Feb 21, 2013
Ask a Question