Deworming your cat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Yolanda, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have good advice on what to use for deworming your cat?
    I have been using a paste but one of my cats gets terrified when he sees the thing. I'm not sure why. I've had him ever since he was a kitten and, to my knowledge, nothing bad happened to him with this thing around (except for the goo he got in his mouth). For comparision; I have 3 other cats that don't like the taste but bare with it, and one that chases me around the house to get it because she loves it! I know there are tablets and I even saw some kind of liquid you put in their necks which was for worms as well. I am not keen on medication for my pets, so if anyone knows a good natural remedy that would be very welcome as well!

Yolanda, Dec 1, 2011
  2. Yolanda

mustangsaguaro Member

I really don't worm my cats or any of my animals. Some good alternatives are diatamaceous earth. There is info on the web on how much to feed to a cat. But if you decided to go the DE route you need to make sure you get human grade DE not pool grade. Here's a link to a website where she makes and sells her own herbal wormer. Might be something to look into. Hope this helps.

http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/categories/herbal-wormer

mustangsaguaro, Dec 2, 2011
    Micheleteresa likes this.
  3. Yolanda

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

As Mustangsaguaro advised, Diatamaceous is a good non toxic alternative to de wormers, Just make sure it is Food grade, also known as fossil shell flour. Just mix half a teaspoon into a can of wet food for four days in a row.

Micheleteresa, Dec 2, 2011
  4. Yolanda

That sounds wonderful, especially because i can mix it in with the food. I don't deworm my cats often but I have one cat (the one scared of the paste) that does get them every once in a while. Not sure why, he eats the same things as the other cats. I'll look into the Diatamaceous :)

Yolanda, Dec 3, 2011
  5. Yolanda

magickat Well-Known Member

I have always used a medication called Panacur which I use in liquid form mixed in with their food, it is the most effective method I have found. The diatamaceous method sounds interesting though, I will look into it.

magickat, Dec 15, 2011
  6. Yolanda

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I use a generic deworming liquid medication provided by the local government vet office. It's pink in color. No idea what's the active ingredient but it works.

Victor Leigh, Jan 2, 2012
  7. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

I bought a deworming liquid that you pour over your cat's food at Walmart. It was by Hertz and it was food grade. My cats really hate any types of pastes so I can really relate. I bought my cat a hairball paste and it was fish flavored, but he would hate it and just run away. I wish you the best!

steph84, Jan 12, 2012
  8. Yolanda

My cats always seem to know when i've added worming liquid and are reluctant to eat the food. Are there any tablets available to to treat all kind of worms?

magickat, Jan 12, 2012
  9. Yolanda

I believe there are, but I haven't used tablets so far. I was looking into it for one cat, though, but I haven't found one to my liking yet. I am thinking about going the natural way and trying the Diatamaceous.

Yolanda, Jan 15, 2012
  10. Yolanda

Yes I have been considering trying Diatamaceous, I like natural options anyway and I've heard it can also be used to combat fleas.

magickat, Jan 16, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
Ask a Question